Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by dharps, Oct 11, 2011.

1. dharps
    dharps New Member
    Would a female thread work for a shapeways model? I wish to have an 8-32 (major diameter about 4.2 mm) Any experience or opinion. Thanks dharps in USA
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
  3. dharps
    dharps New Member
    Thank you for the reply.
    Sorry that I wasn't specific enough. Yes, my question is if a female thread can be printed, and be usable. My material selection is Stainless Steel. As I mentioned the thread in question is 8-32, that's a major diameter of about 4.2 mm. It depends on your perspective if that is small or large. I am perfectly capable of threading a hole, post production of the model, but the Being able to "tap" this thread in a model would make Shapeways production more valuable to me.
  4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    32 TPI is too fine for printed detail in Stainless Steel. You might get away with it in White Strong & Flexible (depending on the thread profile) and it would work ok in Frosted Ultra Detail but FUD is a bit brittle so expect stripped threads.

And alternative would be to have a hole and fit a threaded insert.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. dharps
    dharps New Member
    Thank You for the advice. I am waiting for printed models with holes. I will tap a few holes and consider inserts after that.
    Thanks again
    PS I am making parts to be used to build harps.