The Omni

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by stop4stuff, Apr 23, 2012.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The Omni

A one piece model featuring three tendons that should bend the tip in any direction by pulling on the rings.

Absolutly no intended purpose other than to just see if it works. :rolleyes:

2. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    Looks like a fun concept!

I wonder if would be strong enough to grip something...
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. stop4stuff
    I doubt a single 'digit' would grip anything :laughing:

The idea for The Omni sort of came from THE ROBOT WORKING MODEL HAND. It would be entirely possible to make a three fingered hand with one 'tendon' per digit using the same technique, but that has function and has been done before.

The Omni is pretty much a useless and possibly functionable model :confused

4. AyeJayCee
    AyeJayCee New Member
    Sir, I think you just unwittingly explained the mechanics of a tentacle! :D
    it's a pretty amazing concept, being able to make a self contained "thing" move in any direction you want, I can imagine a series of these with tiny servos at the end of each module making a robotic tentacle, would be amazingly useful in search and rescue operations such as searching through rubble or inside caves with tiny entrances :p
  5. leorolph
    leorolph New Member
    have you thought of using nitinol?.. its a memory wire that can bend to a shape when a current is passed through it, rather than using servos.
  6. BillBedford
    BillBedford New Member
    But memory wire gets hot when working....

7. stop4stuff
    [​IMG] - heat is why memory wire works.

Personally for actuators, I favour air muscles :)
  8. leorolph
    leorolph New Member
    fair enough:)... i have seen a little remote control plane that used nitinol, how hot does it get?
  9. BillBedford
    BillBedford New Member
    It's not the absolute temperature that is important, it is the temperature of the wire relative to the encasing plastic. WSF will be able to deal with a much hotter wire that, say, any of coloured detail.