The Mind of an Architect

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by kspaho, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Hey Shapers,

Over the past six years of studying architecture, I used a number of 3D-modeling softwares, from FormZ, Bonzai, and now, to Rhino and Maya. Although these softwares appear extremely different at first, their overall operational mentality is very similar.

I used Rhino to model my thesis project, for a period of six months, and I have used Maya for a few weeks. I decided to challenge myself and combine the best of both worlds in creating the sculpture below:
    face1.jpg

2. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
  3. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Exploded Parts:
    face3.jpg

4. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Modeled in Rhino:
    from rhino.jpg

5. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Modeled in Maya:
    from maya 1.jpg

6. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Modeled and rigged(applying bone structure for aniamtion and modification of the chesture of the geometry) in Maya:
    from maya 2.jpg

7. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Now the trick is to successfully 3D-Print it, and the next step is to possibly display it at MOMA.

There has never been a point in the history of our planet, that even the greatest sculptors could not carve something of the sort, out of one piece of material.

Thanks to Shapeways and 3D-Printing, one's wildest imagination can take shape.

Cheers!

8. billy57
    billy57 New Member
    Excellent work, well done!

I model in Rhino, but am trying to branch out into organic modelling as well. Looks like Maya might be a good route to go.

9. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Yes you can use maya, but you can use Rhino like maya if you install (tsplines plugin) check out this video:
    <a href=" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivGSmGPWXE&feature=relmf u" target="_blank"></a>

I like maya because you can get into character modeling and its animation possibilities are endless

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  10. Chaffmar
    Chaffmar New Member
    Neat model! Nice to find some fellow Rhino users using Shapeways.

11. kspaho
    kspaho New Member
    Thanks, I love the program, I use it for both 2D and 3D work