The Mind of an Architect

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 24776_deleted, Sep 24, 2011.

1. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Hey Shapers,

Over the past six years of studying architecture, I used a number of 3D-modeling softwares, from FormZ, Bonzai, and now, to Rhino and Maya. Although these softwares appear extremely different at first, their overall operational mentality is very similar.

I used Rhino to model my thesis project, for a period of six months, and I have used Maya for a few weeks. I decided to challenge myself and combine the best of both worlds in creating the sculpture below:
    face1.jpg

2. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
  3. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Exploded Parts:
    face3.jpg

4. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Modeled in Rhino:
    from rhino.jpg

5. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Modeled in Maya:
    from maya 1.jpg

6. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Modeled and rigged(applying bone structure for aniamtion and modification of the chesture of the geometry) in Maya:
    from maya 2.jpg

7. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Now the trick is to successfully 3D-Print it, and the next step is to possibly display it at MOMA.

There has never been a point in the history of our planet, that even the greatest sculptors could not carve something of the sort, out of one piece of material.

Thanks to Shapeways and 3D-Printing, one's wildest imagination can take shape.

Cheers!

8. billy57
    billy57 Member
    Excellent work, well done!

I model in Rhino, but am trying to branch out into organic modelling as well. Looks like Maya might be a good route to go.

9. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Yes you can use maya, but you can use Rhino like maya if you install (tsplines plugin) check out this video:
    <a href=" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivGSmGPWXE&feature=relmf u" target="_blank"></a>

I like maya because you can get into character modeling and its animation possibilities are endless

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  10. 20848_deleted
    20848_deleted Member
    Neat model! Nice to find some fellow Rhino users using Shapeways.

11. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Thanks, I love the program, I use it for both 2D and 3D work