Texture Not Showing Up When I Upload?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1319010_deleted, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This my 1st time trying to post a model it comes up just all grey i uploaded a .obj files and a png texture files in a zip folder but the texture doesn't show up what could i be doing wrong?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Shapeways' software does not process color or texture information in .obj files, you need to export to .wrl (VRML2), .x3d or .dae (Collada) for that.

3. thx mate im having other problem now i uploaded the .x3d file with the png ina zip and it uploaded but it never rendered an image of it and it crashed and got this message

We're unable to process this file. Check your file for errors and click 'Update File' to upload a new version.
    • Model failed during repair.
    maybe the texture file is too large or too many polys? can that effect uploading?

4. mkroeker
    Too many polys could be a problem if the model is sufficiently complex to reach 1 million triangles. (Any spheres in it ?) Or it could be that it has overlapping faces for which there is no (machine-)obvious solution.
    Try previewing the x3d with view3dscene or some other x3d viewer to make sure that the export from your software worked as intended. Also make sure that your zip has only the .x3d and the .png, no internal folders and no other files.

5. hi mate i tried on some more basic models and textures it uploads but in the preview the model is grey but there is a green tick in the texture section when you test it for problems so does that mean the texture is there or does it have to show up on the model preview thing?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What software are you using? Some software makes the file point to a specific folder location for the texture. So you may need to fix this by manually editing the .x3D

7. mkroeker
    Last time this topic came up, the response from shapeways' developers was that their code works best when the x3d file contains pre-calculated texture coordinates: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/n...-a-vrml-shape-on-shapeways.54027/#post-161854

Perhaps there is an export option in your software to include them ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016