Sw Wall Thickness Heatmap Offline

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by i3dp, Aug 16, 2017.

1. i3dp
    i3dp Member
    Hi, I wonder if an offline version of/ something similar to Shapeways' model-wall thickness heatmap exists. Blender 3d plugin works but heatmaps just make it a lot easier. Will save repeat uploading of models for the finicky ones.

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Works fine here,
    Could you send a link to the model that doesn't work (SPIN number of model ID number).

This way I can see whats going on.

3. i3dp
    i3dp Member
    MitchellJetten, SW is working fine.
    I was just hoping to find a offline tool like heatmaps so I could check models before uploading. Even a real-time one(within blender) if possible. Just a wish...

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Ahh I'm so sorry, I should have read your message a bit better :)
    At least happy our wallthickness checks works fine!

5. ellie123
    ellie123 Member
    I was curious about this too. There doesn't seem to be any software package that I am aware of can do this offline. The SW tool is extremely slow and can take hours to update error fixes. I've had a great deal of trouble with it.
    In general it would be so much easier to have an offline heatmap thickness checker to preview thin walls and manually fix.

6. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Netfab free trial? @Stoney knows what up.

7. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Yeah,I want one of that kind of tool too.

8. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    For thickness heat-maps and other useful inspection tools of STL and other files, try 3D-Tool free viewer. They do paid packages too, that allow a range of manipulations, but I find the viewer is enough for me to check my STLs for flaws before uploading to SW! (Just google "3D-Tool" and it should come up...)

9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah, I use 3D-Tool too. I've been using it for a few years. You'll want to decimate way down to speed up the analysis unless you have a super fast computer. In addition to showing heatmaps, without even doing an analysis it will show the wall thickness under the cursor in real-time as you move the curse around the model. Here's an analysis of my DNA engagement ring showing the two types of heat maps that it does. For these, I just used the Quick calc function.
    3D-Tool 1.jpg
    3D-Tool 2.jpg
    Its main function is for doing markup. I've never found anything better for doing markup, it basically does everything under the sun in that regard.

10. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Hey,this is an interesting software.But it does take a few minutes to calculate.Check this out:):
    upload_2018-1-21_21-21-22.png
    It takes me 5 minutes to calculate this model.Hmmm……with a 3 years-old-computer.;)