Streamlined Trains -- New York Central System - Mercury

Discussion in 'Miniatures and Scale Models' started by Chris_EDI, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member
    This is a post to provide a space to share recent modeling projects and advice involving ED&I's Mercury Train locomotive and tender shell models.

2. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member
    Conversation from Shapeways member Tom Weber teebone0613 - 4/27/2017

HO Scale NYC Mercury Shell for 4-6-2

Hi Chris. My Name is Tom Weber. I've been a model railroader for a while and have done some scratch building. I have a bid on a used Ho K4 Pacific (4-6-2) that is not a lot of $$ so it will be a good test Chassis. I realize there maybe fitment issues, but I want to see if I can get it to work first and then I can take it from there. The used model also has a 12 wheel tender that is not streamlined(like the engine). I'll take copious measurements when I get the chassis and compare to what you have on the website and we can talk more.

These model reailroaders are nuts. You should see the prices that some of these Plastic HO engines fetch. like I said, this engine in particular can only be found in very rare Brass. At they want $2,000.

3. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member
    Reply from Jerry Pinkepank - railroad book author, historian and consultant - 12/20/17

HO Scale NYC Mercury Shell for 4-6-2 and Tender

Hi Chris,

... I thought more about the tender and believe it would be better to put a complete new shell on the frame—if convenient, perhaps you could send me a photo of the frame separated from the body. I’d like to see how a new body would be fastened to the frame—presumably much like the existing body. The reasons I think an entire new body is needed are that (1) the existing coal bunker extends too far back to accommodate the proper slope of the streamlining cowling over the tank top, and I don’t think you would want buyer s to have to try to cut it down themselves (2) an insert extending over the existing body would not look right due to the very obvious overlap on the sides. In creating a new body, the rivet pattern on the existing body would largely be copies except to shorten the pattern that outlines the coal bunker. The reason for the vertical rivet lines on the tank is that those rivets secure the anti-sloshing baffles inside the tank; for that reason, there are not vertical rivet lines like that in the coal bunker area.

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member
    Reply from Chris Scarlett - 3D modeler and designer and Shapeways member Chris_EDI - 12/20/17

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. I will share these with Tom Weber, who ordered the locomotive shell from Shapeways, after your next response.

Attached and embedded are some images that may be helpful. I like the idea of modeling the shell without the body. But we would have to add some additional features to the shell, especially on the back as seen in Richard Cook’s Mercury book page 14.

But it looks like it may fit anyways, and seems like a real good match following the roofline from W. D. Edson’s drawing. And it provides some space in the back of the tender as seen in the book too. I scaled the image and printed it out in Word then overlaid the HO models on top of it.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

upload_2020-3-18_8-21-41.png
    upload_2020-3-18_8-21-59.png

5. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member
    Reply from Jerry Pinkepank - railroad book author, historian and consultant - 12/20/17

I’m very glad the frame length and trucks line up with the diagram, and that the water scoop is integral with the frame so that doesn’t have to be modeled anew. Yes, the full width diaphragm has to be added; it’s X52052 in volume II of the NYC drawing file, for the baggage end of the coach-baggage car and for the matching one that goes on the tender. Because its 17MB it might not go through so I’m attaching it to a separate e-mail. --Jerry

6. Chris_EDI
    Chris_EDI Member

Jerry also added...

... it would be good to mention the 6515 number visible in the rear photo showing the wide diaphragm of the tender was the Big Four number—the 1936 renumbering to a single system series took place while the two K-5’s were at West Albany shops for streamlining and they emerged with their new system numbers of 4915 and 4917 –except originally the numbers weren’t visible anywhere on the locomotives! It is also notable that the NYC diagram with dimensions which you reproduce (it is not an Edson drawing; it was included in his book from the official NYC diagram books) confirms that the engines had water scoops in Mercury service. I think West Albany had to restore them—they had them originally when built for the Michigan Central, which had track pans, but would not have been in service on the Big Four, which didn’t have track pans. See the embedded image of
    NYC drawing X52052

I’d refer people to the New York Central System Historical Society, from whom the entire set of Mercury drawings can be purchased at a reasonable price (it may be desirable for them to join the Society to get the best price) https://nycshs.org/ --Jerry

upload_2020-3-18_8-27-2.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020