Steering Wheel Emblems for Dodge vehicles

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by THE1REBEL, Aug 29, 2011.

1. THE1REBEL
    THE1REBEL New Member
    I have been working long and hard on this and it is finally finished. It's a Steering Wheel Badge for Dodge vehicles. This one sterling silver with colored resin lettering. The background is a holographic carbon fiber vinyl which I filled over with clear resin.

[​IMG]

I was able to get installed to my Dodge Challenger SRT8 over the weekend. I think is looks awesome! :twisted:

[​IMG]

It's kinda like the cherry on top!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd go for a drive but I think I spent all my gas money making it!!! DOH!! :cry:

2. THE1REBEL
    THE1REBEL New Member
    I went thru several interations over the past year to get to this point. Here is my very first version in stainless steel which I hand polished it and melted colored plastic to fill the lettering. It is next to the factory original emblem.

[​IMG]

The badge seemed to thin so I modified the design to make it thicker. Here it is after a good polish.

[​IMG]

I started to experiment with different designs and colored resins. Here are a few more all done in stainless steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to thank everyone at Shapeways for their excellent support over the past year.

My next project will be printing one in FUD and see if I can chrome plate it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Amazing project, I've been wanting to do something like this for my Civic Si for a couple years.

4. Eeppium
    Eeppium New Member
    Wow! those look great! especially the one with the carbonfiber background. very authentic!

I´m curious, did you use something to inject the resin to the desired areas since they are so tiny. also how are the possible bubbles removed from the clear resin ?

5. phildlight
    phildlight New Member
    WOW! These are fantastic! Front page stuff for sure.

6. THE1REBEL
    THE1REBEL New Member
    I used a simple Oral Syringe just like this:

[​IMG]

and some precision glue tips like this which I got at a local hobby store in the modeling section. They fit on the end of the syringe:

[​IMG]

I'd only draw the resin into the tip this way the syringe doesn't need to be cleaned. However after using it, I find it works best to just dip it into the resin, using it like a fountain pen, and apply small amounts till it fills the whole area. I used "ICE Resin" which is a Jeweler's grade resin and it flows well.

As far as bubbles goes, I heated the resin the warm water for 15 mims and was real careful when mixing to not create any more. Used the mixing stick to bring them to the surface. I think adding the Resin to the badge a drop at a time helped aswell. I then baked the filled badge in a oven at about 130 to 140 degrees for 3 hours which helped to get a soft cure. I kept checking but did not get any bubbles :D . This also helps it get rock hard.

I was extremely happy with the results.

7. Eeppium
    Eeppium New Member
    Thank you for that little tutorial :D

I´ve gotta try resin soon in my designs too, it adds so much more to them!

8. Psaras65
    Psaras65 New Member
    Really superb job. How did you polish the stainless steel so well?

9. duann
    duann New Member
    Woah, great work...

10. THE1REBEL
    THE1REBEL New Member

Thank you for the comments.

I'll give you a run down on the polish process I'm using.
    I have one of these benchtop sanders:

[​IMG]

I first rough sand the badge with 400 grit on the face and edges using the guide table. I then adjust to around 45 Degees and do the beveled edge. I do this till all the pitting it gone and surface is smooth.

After this I quickly wet sand with 2000 grit to remove any sanding marks.

I then use my Dremel with a Cotton polishing wheel and some Blue Magic metal polish to get it to shine.

[​IMG]

http://www.bluemagicusa.com/

This polish is great for polishing Silver I was very suprised in how well this stuff polishes. :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. Psaras65
    Psaras65 New Member
    Thanks for the explanation on the polishing. The results you get are really great! :D

12. Germo
    Germo New Member
    Degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit ?

13. THE1REBEL
    THE1REBEL New Member
    That would be Fahrenheit
    Sorry about that. :)

14. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  15. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Agreed with all the above - fantastic job. My questions were answered re the polished s/steel, too (damn that looks good).

I've used Ice Resin before and you gave some great tips there as well...

Glenn

16. Very impressive work. Some of the most professional work Ive seen done with shapeways. Amazing attention to detail.

17. janis
    janis New Member
    hi

can i have the 3d model.. so i can put my own letters in it?

gr.

18. NoriToy
    NoriToy New Member
    How thin was the thinnest part? I am working on a design for my car. Can this bend at all? I was thinking of making it three parts so I can make part out of plastic to keep the cost down.