Square Fabric is back

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    In March 2011, I designed my first Square Fabric. In the same period, Stop4Stuff designed his Square Maille - Flat N sampler and both models had a similar design: something flat made of square basic shapes.

So last December, when I was contacted by a journalist about this Square Fabric, I could not prevent myself from revisiting this design.

First I decided to make a new version with smaller links and smaller clearances. The previous version had a wire of 2mm with a clearance of 1mm. This time, the wire is 1.5mm and the clearance 0.5mm.
    The result is the Square Fabric v2.
    [​IMG]

I also ask Stop4Stuff the permission to design a new fabric with a link directly inspired from his own design but with a more round feeling (without going into particulars, I work with cylinders intersections).
    The result is the Square Fabric v3.
    [​IMG]

I really like how those fabrics react when you touch them.
    The next step would be to take a scanned part of body, say a hand, transform it into a model made of squares and then replace each square by such a square link, in order to make a glove.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    If you can make the model with reasonably square squares all of about the same size, I can help you make the glove :)

This shows a somewhat similar fabric that is triangle based, but either of your square fabrics can be used as well.

heart.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Wow, very nice heart indeed. I have also seen your woven glove.
    I'd like to see a mix between the shape of the hand and the square links.
    I suspect the Square Fabric v3 would also work with triangles in addition to squares. This would be a big help, because most of the time you get models made of triangles rather than squares.

4. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    That's right, v3 will work with squares and triangles, even with a combination of the two. I was wrong about v2 though, it can't be used because it doesn't have four fold rotational symmetry. That won't work in places like the corner of a cube where three links meet.

I don't have something like v3 programmed in yet, but that's the easy bit. The hard part is getting the input model all nice and isotropic...

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    In the meantime, please check this video: http://youtu.be/IOl2wLmDL4A
    You can see successively the original Square Fabric, the v2 and the v3.

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
  7. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    This stuff is really cool.

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi there,

Here are two other concepts of Fabric Swatch.
    The first one, that I received time ago, but for some reasons, I did not post a message about it.
    It is called Double-Eight Fabric, because of its basic link shape.
    IMG_7080.JPG

And the second one I received recently, the Hexa Fabric (nearly the same concept but with a 3-fold symmetry instead of a 2-fold, and two basic links):
    IMG_7165.JPG

Both are very flexible and react very nicely.