square edges with ceramics?!

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by marigagcas, Feb 7, 2014.

1. marigagcas
    marigagcas New Member
    Hi,
    I am having issues in filleting the edges of my model. The edges of the solid show curves that go in opposite directions, therefore the software can't seem to be able to do the filleting properly (Rhino 5)... anyways. I want to print my design in ceramics, which is why I am stuggling so hard with the filleting. Has anyone even tried ceramic sintering without filleting the edges? Did the model crack? I am thinking of sending it just like this, but I am kind of scared... I have no super sharp points per se but the edges are square.

Thanks for the help!

2. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    I don't think cracking is the problem, but the glaze won't stick to sharp ridges.

Example: https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1050-3d-printed-cera mics-is-back.html (first picture)

With white glaze it's not that obvious but with a coloured glaze you would see lighter/white ridges.

If you just want to print it for yourself, you might post the file and someone can help you with it. Of course if you want to sell it this might not be a good idea...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    don't mention it ;)