Sprues?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by PixelRaizer, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PixelRaizer
    PixelRaizer Member
    Howdy, Pixel here posting because I wish to learn something.

As of now I'm making miniatures for a board game I love. Now at the moment I've had most of the miniatures posted in my store individually but I wish to learn how to create a way to have all 13 models connected via sprues/tree so that if someone wants the entire set they can buy it and have them all. Course It'll take some work as the buyer will need a pair of nippers to free them from the sprues. I would just like it as an option.

So what I'm asking if there are any tips or tutorials in making such a thing like this? I'd like some advice. By the way the program I'm using is Lightwave and Netfabb basic of course to fix any problems.

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  2. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    minimum sprue diameter is 2mm for WSF. It largely depends on if the SW tech doing the manual check think the printed sprues are likely to break during post processing. If you pack everything compactly and use several sprues to interconnect everything you can do thinner sprues, down to 1mm.

once thing to keep in mind is sprue placement. The nub where the sprue is trimmed tends to be more difficult to paint.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. okaricraft
    okaricraft Active Member
    From my personal experience (with WSF) I've found 2mm sprues to be a bit flimsy, so I use 2 x 3mm. I tried out 4mm just to see and its really overkill. I connect them to the underside of the game piece bases I make. makes it really easy to sand, and if possible I try to inset the underside slightly so even if someone doesn't sand the sprue nub, it shouldn't affect how the piece sits.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. PixelRaizer
    PixelRaizer Member
    I see @okaricraft well my plan was to have the sprues attach to the sides of the base atleast in 4 points in a grid like fashion. My problem however is the scale of each figure on the sprue and the sprue themselves too. I'm not mega savvy