Some Steel Rings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gordonlardi, Feb 22, 2018.

1. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    Here are some designs of mine printed here on shapeways.

Attached Files:

2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    These are great! I played around with steel rings for a while and decided it was too hard of a sell for my brand. For you, though, with strong masculine designs, the material works perfectly.

My problem with steel is that I need a greater thickness to get the kind of detail that I like. That ends up with a bulky ring that probably won't appeal to most women. Add to that the problems with shrinkage, and I've been turned away by this material for rings. I want to do some steel bracelets, though, so I'll probably be faced with the shrinkage problem again.

I noticed you have one steel bracelet in your collection, the Flexy Cuff. Did you have to calculate a shrinkage percentage into the design?
  3. gordonlardi
    Thanks, yes its better to make bold statements with this process because as you implied small details can get lost . For rings i have found scaleing up your model 104% above the desired size gets you pretty accurate finished results. I think this would apply to cuffs as well. The steel doesn't wear well as an everyday ring but its good if you want to wear it to an event to make a statement. I say this because prolong wear can make the brass in the ring leave a brownish tint on your skin as it reacts to sweat. This is why i offer my rings in the precious metals and coatings as well. The rings, as you know, come out much nicer
    EvieL and Ontogenie like this.
  4. EvieL
    EvieL Well-Known Member
    They look really great! Also, congrats on the feature on the magazine!
  5. gordonlardi
    Thanks Evie, it was nice to get the tutorial although they didnt use my words provided to explain the steps. Guess they thought it was too wordy, lol.
  6. bavariaSHAPE
    bavariaSHAPE Member
    I agree with Ontogeny. The rings look very nice, but they are more suitable for men's hands. They are a very good symbol for handcraft.

I experiment with steel in diferent variation for my belt buckle design. The material fits ideally, I think. But I just started it now.