Some small questions

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Psawhn, May 12, 2009.

  1. Psawhn
    Psawhn New Member
    For one of my models, a part is modeled separated from the main body in order to provide a way to extract excess material from the hollow space inside, as well as to rotate once it is attached. (See first attached picture) There are similar protrusions on both side of the rotating piece (it is symmetrical), and there are two pieces to be attached. The protrusion is 3.9mm in diameter and extrudes 0.3mm from the part, and the hole is 4.3mm in diameter. (I have 0.2mm clearance) I want the part to be able to slip in, and once it pops in I want friction to provide adequate resistance. Are the tolerances I currently have good enough for this? I'm planning to print in WSF. (A .blend file can be found at: /UFO_AI/stingray-shapeways1.blend )
    If the part doesn't even slip in, my backup plan was always to sand the tabs off then use glue. :)

    I also have a pattern that I'd like to print as a bracelet and as a headband in WSF. (See second attachment)
    Currently I have the depth set to 2.6mm - will this provide enough elastic force for the headband?
    For the bracelet I've tried to make sure that the thickness is at least 2mm in most cases, and 1mm minimum for some of the more detailed parts. The bracelet is also 2mm in depth.

    However, the tapering I've applied to the headband brings the wall thickness in some places down to 0.5mm (but still 2.6mm depth) The outside edge and the 'spine' keep at least 1.5mm thickness at all times. Could I just leave it as-is and accept that the SLS process will leave some of the 'arms' out, or fill in some of the holes?

    Thanks a lot for offering this awesome service.

    Attached Files:

  2. robert
    robert New Member
    Hi Psawhn,

    You ask some hard questions. :)

    We release some documentation which should answer your questions on Monday. Just monitor our blog beginning next.week.

    Best regards,

  3. Psawhn
    Psawhn New Member
    I ordered the stuff a couple days ago anyway, so I guess I'll find out soon enough anyways. :)

    Of course, just today I realized that there could be a better shape for my inserts, so hopefully they come out useable. Like I said, my backup plan was to use a power sander or other tool, then use a glue like in your tutorials. I suppose I can also try to attach coathanger wire to the hair band in order to strengthen it its long axis if need be.

    I'm eagerly waiting for the models to be printed and shipped, and I'll be sure to post the results in the "It's arrived!" forum. :)