Some general info request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by megmaltese, Oct 26, 2012.

1. megmaltese
    megmaltese Member
    Hello everybody, I am new to this and need some general informations.

What is the max size of an object printed by Shapeways.
    What is the most resistant material, regardless to the look of it.
    And what is the weight of 1 cubic cm of this material.

I need to print a couple of parts, around 20 cm size: a wheel and a base that will support this wheel, connected with a common ball bearing ring.

Thank you in advance, guys! :)

2. megmaltese
    megmaltese Member
    Doh... sorry for the multiple thread opening, but I kept receiving an error of no response from server and didn't notice the thread was opened anyway, sorry!

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The maximum size is different for each of the materials. Check the Materials Page for each of them for the "Maximum Bounding Box".

For example: WSF is nylon and can be printed as large as 65x35x55cm - as long as you're not trying purchase it in color or polished finishes. The vat for dying and hopper for polishing are both smaller than what the printer is capable of producing.

As to the weight.. you can look up the MSDS for Nylon 22 (WSF) or the other materials and find a weight per cm3, however.. check this
    Blog post and you will see that the WSF material as printed (with this particular printing method) is far from solid.

4. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    Nylon is ranked as high for "Detail" and with high flexibility.

FUD is very brittle, and bad at sustaining fine detail intact.

Is the detail with Nylon comparable with FUD?

5. megmaltese
    megmaltese Member
    Thank you Stony, I found that probably the best material for my purpose is simply the white strong one, I found a video on Youtube and it looks really strong.
    I also found the pages with materials and stuff and uploaded a model to see how it works :)

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    WSF detail is nowhere near the 0.05-0.1mm detail possible with FUD, and WSF has some degree of error wrt dimensional accuracy e.g. parts designed as an interference fit in FUD will work every time, but the same parts in WSF may or may not fit together but will still be within the print tolerances regardless.

Paul

[hr][hr]

7. megmaltese
    megmaltese Member
    I see a lot of experience with the various materials has to be done :laughing: