Software Recommendation For Editing A 3d Face File?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by virginia1, Sep 29, 2017.

1. virginia1
    virginia1 Member
    I have a 3D scan of my own hand-sculpted doll which I would like to edit and use as a starting place for 3D modeling of new heads.

Can you recommend which software may be most suitable for this? I am starting from near bottom as a newbie but interested in learning more!

Thank you.

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    ZBrush, the digital sculpting software of course. 30 day trial, lesser versions etc. Of course it really comes alive with a tablet. I can process your scan if you would like a demo. -S

3. virginia1
    virginia1 Member
    Thank you for the suggestion! Can you let me know what you mean by "processing" my scan? and what would you be demoing? How to change the mesh?

4. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Typically scans need holes filled, some trims, etc. ZBrush has amazing retopo tools both for further high poly brush modeling (in the millions) and for game engine use and 3D print decimation. Have you thought about shelling, hollowing out the head? That type of stuff, skype based support if you want to get started. Did you mesh the point cloud? Have obj export? Downloaded the demo yet? -S

5. virginia1
    virginia1 Member
    ok, I get you. I'll download the demo and see into it. The file was prepped by my scanning place so it's print-ready. I just want to play around with editing it. :)

Appreciate the recommendation!

6. AxelThorn
    AxelThorn Member
    From my personal experience you can try to start using Scanect , Faro Scenect or Artec Studio. First one have minimal functionality in free version, but it's not bad for beginners. Learning Faro will take more time, and Artec has only 30 days trial, but it is more user-friendly. I used 10 version, may be latest version even more simple for newbie

7. virginia1
    virginia1 Member
    thank you for the suggestion! (btw, I initally responded to the wrong thread and deleted it so it you get a strange response first that is why. LOL)