Small Details Disappearing

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Freakazoitt, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    I have a problem when uploading small scale models. Small details like rivets are disappearing. I think it's some file format covertation issue or shapeways software limits. I tried to upload large scale and then rescale it to smaller - same result. Also I "fixed" model by making it into one object, but it makes file too big and sometimes ruin polygins. Any suggestions?

2. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Define "small" - if it is under the minimums for embossed/engraved detail it may be simply too small to be printable. But it also depends on what view you have open - some options in the 3D tools use a voxel view of the model that effectively rounds off tiny details like scale rivets, but that doesn't mean they are removed. Also, make sure the details are firmly attached to the model - even a tiny gap between parts will make the SW software remove them.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Good or bad, the upload software considers the separate meshes first, and if your rivet is separate and below the engraved/embossed size, it will be removed before it is welded into the final model. If they are small, you can simplify the rivets to a simple cube (rather than a sphere) and stay below the polygon limit without affecting it visually.

4. Freakazoitt
    Yeah it was before, but now shapeways smoothets detalization improved much
    The main preview shows the actual model
    I check this, if the details are separate then the model is generally rejected

Cubes are also disappearing

5. barkingdigger
    I assume you raised this with customer service? If you can post some screen-shots of the model in its design software (so we can see the missing details), preferably with some measurements annotated on it, and shots of what you see when you upload it that might help get some better advice.

6. Freakazoitt
  7. barkingdigger
    From the pics it looks like all the rows of rivets are missing from the uploaded model. How big are these rivets? The whole vehicle is only 53mm long, right? If the rivets are less than 0.1mm high they might just be too small, and the SW import process will get rid of them. I try to make sure small rivets or bolt-heads are at least 0.2mm tall and 0.4mm wide at minimum - even then they might not print well. Have you checked the model in other STL-viewing software like 3D-Tool to make sure the exported file still has the rivets in it before you upload to Shapeways? (Are they firmly "attached" to the model in your modelling software, and not getting left behind when you export? I've had that happen before...)

If you see the rivets in your STL in 3D-Tool, then you need to contact SW customer service to get them to take a look.

8. Freakazoitt
    rivets are not attached to the armor (because it may ruin model geomerty)
    they disappearing during upload or after upload (not before)

9. barkingdigger
    If the rivets don't touch the armour then the SW software will see them as separate parts that are too small on their own, and will delete them. On my models I extend these kinds of detail into the thickness of the backing armour plate to make sure they are exported as one item, that way SW will include them in my uploaded model. The downside is they leave rough lines where the support wax goes up the side to hold the resin as it is printed...

10. alenalien387
    alenalien387 Member
    make sure the details are firmly attached to water damage restoration the model - even a tiny gap between parts will make the SW software remove them.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021