Skylight Structural Framing Models

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by MJHanson, Sep 22, 2018.

1. MJHanson
    MJHanson Member
    F14B0DD3-31F9-4B95-A36A-05D9CBF0AA3D.png 91A25BDC-D7ED-45CA-B53C-7149ED35898F.png FF459B52-D62F-4F5C-83F8-C92876F0778D.png 0C83BD66-C416-407E-A554-9268EEA56D79.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hello, my name is Michael Hanson and I’m an architect. I’ve been using Revit to create 3D CAD models of proposed buildings for over 5 years now.

The images I’m sharing show a collection of related 3D printed models that depict the structural framing of a real custom skylight I designed for an addition at BWI Airport. The project was just completed in August of this year.

The purpose of the models is to show two different levels of appreciation for the steel framing of the skylight. One showing the overall geometry of the steel framing concept and the other showing the specific steel connections in full detail. They may be used as teaching props if the opportunity arises.

There are two different model scales. One smaller scale showing the overall concept with simplified steel connections and (10) larger scale steel connection details showing each of the unique connections along the long edge of the skylight. I added 3D text to the larger details so I could keep track of their locations in the overall model.

The contextual limits of the overall model had to be reduced from 30ft x 180ft to 30ft x 90ft in order to meet the 3D printing criteria. (Some of the framing members are only 4” in diameter in real life) The actual skylight is two of these modules placed end to end and mirrored. For reference, each truss spans 30ft and are spaced at 10ft o.c. Only 5 different truss configurations were required to frame the skylight thus (10) different steel connections, one for each end of the trusses. I’m currently having one steel connection printed in Brass.

As an architect, you might say I get to see my digital models reproduced in full scale! From the beginning of design to the completion of the project took about 4 yrs. I was first introduced to Shapeways in March of this year by a colleague.

I don’t intend to sell these models since they’re probably of no interest to anyone but me. I do have a few other items I designed that are for sale on my Shapeways shop called: ‘Half Wright Designs’.

I’ve really gotten excited about being able to design objects that can be 3D printed in metal!

Thanks for reading!

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Vortical
    Vortical Well-Known Member
    Very impressive. And a lovely roofline!

MJHanson likes this.