Site update, and upload times.

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Ray716, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Ray716
    Ray716 New Member
    Every time a site update happens, there is a number of people in the forums posting that the uploads are taking for ever.

Suggested fix: Make a banner that you turn on a day before the updates. Have it on the main page, and maybe also on the upload page. This banner will explain that Upload times may be extended due to making the Shapeways we all know and love better. This way we have less questions, and clearer and better communication.

In Troth,

2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO & Co-Founder
    Hi Ray, thanks. We need to look into this one..
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Perhaps it could be a permanent banner that would give you an expected upload time. Like when you call any service provider (We're having a heavier than expected call volume, your anticipated wait time is 3 hours, calls will be answered in the order they were received, there are 15 people in front of you) something like that?
  4. pete
    NO! :)

We should make the site faster and faster - not become like them and make more and more excuses! ;)

5. horst
    horst New Member
    We have been working on some backend optimizations over the past few months that probably impacted model upload times on new releases.

However, those optimizations are largely complete, so I do not expect this problem to recur on future site updates. In fact, we've moved to a model of smaller, but more-frequent changes to the site. This should be nearly imperceptible to site users.

If you do have an issue, though, feel free to PM me and I'll take a look right away.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    :laughing: Well hopefully most of the time it would say expected time a few minutes 0-1 people in front of you. But when Oprah recommends Shapeways, and you get slammed with millions of uploads in ten minutes it would tell you to hold on, it's going to be a while.
  7. pete
    You made me laugh!! ROTL
  8. Ray716
    Ray716 New Member
    hey! Oprah COULD happen to Shapeways! *nods* :D

This fantastic little company is doing nothing BUT growing. And more and more people are wanting things done THEIR way! So, Anything is possible!

9. horst
    horst New Member
    Thanks for the support, Ray!