silver prints

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by fridgehead, Oct 18, 2010.

1. fridgehead
    fridgehead New Member
    I created these some time ago in stainless steel

Flesh Tunnels

and got warned that the steel probably wasnt safe for jewelry use like that.

Is the silver safe for that?
  2. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 New Member
    I would imagine so.... A lot of body jewelery is made from Sterling Silver anyways isnt it?
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Shapeways has made all jewelery items automatically show metal first, is that a sideways way of saying it's safe for skin contact? Is that the same as being in your ear? My guess is the answer will be the prints are for decorative purposes only, if you stick it in your ear and your ear falls off you can't say they said you could.
  4. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    Even with SIlver it will still depend on how each individuals skin reacts to a foreign material. Silver is much less allergenic and less reactive to skin oils than SS or bronze but it in NOT inert. So some people are likely not to be able to tolerate silver posts in their ears. High karat gold is still the safest bet for metal inserts into the body but even this can't be tolerated by some people.

5. fridgehead
    fridgehead New Member
    I guess the "allergic to silver" thing still stands and as far as I know I'm not. I was told pretty much outright that the stainless steel ones were a bad idea by someone on this forum.

Sod it, I'll get the design resized for my ears and send it off for a print to see what happens!