silver jewelry x 6

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by nervoussystem, Dec 2, 2010.

1. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem New Member
    The silver rings we ordered finally arrived yesterday. Just photographed them to share with you all. Overall I would say they are quite good. But, the stepping seems less fine than other wax print suppliers we have used and the polishing is inconsistent. However, the price was far superior! And I appreciate the extra effort shapeways put in to make these polished for me since they were initially rejected.

click through the images and look at the original size photos to judge the pieces for yourself

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Gijs
    Gijs New Member
    wow, these rings come out beautifully in silver.
    Do I see that correctly that those rings sit on a high gloss vacuumformed nervoussystem design?
  3. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem New Member
    Hi Gijs,

Thanks! It is actually a beautiful porcelain prototype of a dessert plate we are having manufactured. Just arrived yesterday :)
  4. Gijs
    Gijs New Member
    Ah, that's great!

I am also completely in love with the reaction cups you designed. I am sure you must have been thrilled when you had programmed that reaction system :) It litteraly transforms simple shapes into intricate designs.
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    You wouldn't happen to be having them injection molded would you? I may be able to help you if you're looking for an injection molder :rolleyes:
  6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Your rings are lovely. Keep up the great work!
  7. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem New Member
    slipcast. got a manufacturer. would love to find a glass manufacturer though. Our original prototypes that they made the molds from were a clear SLA and it looks pretty awesome. I think in glass it could give some strange optical effects.
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    I'm sure it would have the same effect in polycarbonate or SAN :p. We don't do glass here, but I could talk to some people to see about imports if you're interested.
  9. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Very nice!

Just wondering though :
    WTF? How did you manage that ?

I ordered a Gyroid ring which has very similar "insides" which could not be polished, so it was rejected..

I was unable to persuade them to polish it anyway even if it was only on the outside.. :mad:
    So I'll be getting it unpolished, curious if I'm able to polish it properly myself.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  10. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem New Member
  11. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    Consider this. Many artist/glassworkers use compressed graphite (like pencil lead) for creating molds and tooling for casting or press molding molten glass. This material is available in monolithic blocks in many grades and densities, and is able to withstand the rigors of repeated contact with hot glass. Graphite is easily machined (messy though). Your biggest problem will be finding a "hot shop'" willing to produce your designs at a mutually beneficial price point. The graphite tooling would be a piece o' cake though.