Shipping Update

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by virginia_gordon, Aug 31, 2017.

1. robs_mw
    robs_mw Well-Known Member
    Regarding shipping to Asia

I fear USD 26 to Asia is still considered cheap....just Google a bit to send your own imaginary package from The Netherlands to Asia, and you will find much higher prices...(of course that's just a one-of, not a business bulk deal).

It would however be appreciated if Shapeways could explore cheaper alternatives, especially with longer delivery times; for my own designs i'm never in a hurry, so if it takes a week (or even 2) to get it, that's also fine with me.

Asian customers could be given the option for fast (few business days) or longer delivery time, each with a different price tag.

BR,
    Robert

GeorgeYu likes this.
  2. GeorgeYu
    GeorgeYu Member
    ..is Shapeways going to find other alternatives for those who living in Asia like robs_mw said above? :/

3. crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Well-Known Member
    It would be nice if Shapeways would stick to USPS for better service. Rather than charging $5 for delivery in a week or two (and to think I'm east of The Mississippi river, I must be twice as bad to the west coast) when USPS priority mail flat rate boxes could get me my order in 2-3 days and for $2 more including insurance so if it gets lost or damaged it protects shapeways as much as the customer.

EvieL likes this.
  4. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Agreed. Delivery for me used to take 1-3 days, now it takes 3-6. The holidays are likely to make this worse.

EvieL likes this.
  5. crashtestdummy
    My order arrived at 4 days (a new best) but in a box 4x as big as usual I got plenty of package cushioning material and the parts were nearly "lost" in it.

6. debdeb
    debdeb Well-Known Member
    I decided to take advantage of the free shipping offer and am watching my package take a very long way to cross the east river. UPS Innovation May have some issues. Since Friday, its journey thus far has been:

Long Island City, NY
    Edgewood, NY
    Bridgeport, NJ
    New York, NY
    Accepted by Post Office no destination
    Middletown, DE

P.s. Delivery destination is in Manhattan, 5.2 miles away from the Long Island City Shapeways location.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Seems like shapeways needs a bike courier!

debdeb and crashtestdummy like this.
  8. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    @debdeb sounds like there may be something wrong with the address and its pinging around USPS's various locations.

I'll let service know and see if they can help

debdeb and jimmyadvice like this.
  9. crashtestdummy
    or a pick up window.

10. crashtestdummy
    Nope that is the "service" in USPS. They do that intentionally to delay the package. After all if you can get low rate service and get a premium service nobody would pay the premium rate.

Example: I order books occasionally from the local state university and they mail them to me if they are out of stock. Thing is I live less than 1000 feet from a dorm and closer than some of the student parking and I'm behind the post office. So even if they send it priority mail, they send it out to Iowa (we are in KY) than it goes to Suburban St. Louis and then finally back though the same post office to me. Time in transit 2-4 days. Sent at the media rate it can take the full two weeks to arrive.

In the end it will manage to arrive within the service window as defined in the fine print on the USPS website.

Shapeways is supposed to be "the factory of tomorrow", waiting a week or two for your order to be filed and delivered is so "yesterday". Like I said, shapeways needs a pick up window for customers or courier services sometimes dealing with the USPS or UPS just isn't worth the hassle.

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Pick up is (or used to be?) available, see FAQs https://www.shapeways.com/support/faq#faq-pickuporder
    (And while I have no experience with the USPS, building weird transit routes just to delay a package seems unlikely. More likely they just skip local or regional pre-sorting and just ship everything to a central mail hub from which it returns along main distribution routes.)

12. EvieL
    EvieL Well-Known Member
    Yeah pickup is available. Although it's cool to see the factory, the track from the 2 nearby subway stations is a relatively far walk in a not so populated neighborhood. If you pick up during the daylight hours then I guess it's ok, but if it gets colder and if ice is on the ground, I am not sure I'd feel safe walking that track to get my items. Also, shipping is still cheaper than the round trip subway ride :D

So I agree with @seriaforma that maybe Shapeways should look into a bike courier. Or better yet, have the items bulk delivered daily to the Manhattan office and we can pick up from there instead from the Factory in LIC. I bet that might save you guys money in shipping to those of us who are local.

@virginia_gordon Something to think abt maybe? :)

chanusa and debdeb like this.
  13. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    What you describe is what I consistently observe with UPS Innovations, package is routed through UPS sorting center(s), before exchanging hands to USPS for final delivery. All bounces are UPS at UPS discretion, with USPS handling the last hop before your mailbox.

With real USPS shipping SW used to have last year, the package always came down the coast directly to my location, along I-95. Now with UPS Innovations, my orders goes south to Butner NC before going back up north to me, and consistently adds 2 extra days to delivery time.

14. debdeb
    debdeb Well-Known Member
    @virginia_gordon I second EvieL's idea of a Manhattan pick up location!! I have done the long walk from the subway many times during the last year to the LIC location. I have the same fears regarding safety--especially once it gets colder out and darker earlier. I would LOVE to be able to pick up in your corporate office. Would also be great to have a meet up there every once in a while. Please consider this.

EvieL likes this.
  15. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    In Switzerland, UPS is charging additional goods and service tax as well as a handling fee (>30CHF) once the value of shipped items exceed a certain amount. This costs are far higher than the shipping costs.

Has somebody an idea how to this costs can be prevented or reduced?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  16. fx
    fx Well-Known Member
    Yes, please do something about the UPS handling charge here in Switzerland. You must have changed something lately, as until now there was no problem if the total order value was below the tax threshold. I don't know what you changed, or what UPS changed, but now I've been hit everytime by a fee.

If you had a strange drop in your sales to Switzerland, you have your answer.

17. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    how did you calculate the threshold for shippings to Switzerland? I never understood!

18. fx
    fx Well-Known Member
    ordering for max $45 usd value used to work, as with the added shapeways shipping + some space for UPS sloppy currency conversion rate it was below the 62,50 CHF total value VAT tax threshold (VAT value below 5 CHF).

19. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    I tried twice with 40CHF. Ups still charges the amount 21CHF! On the phone they tell that this is out of influence of ups. it is the custom. I did not finde ou how to call the custom.

20. Chris333
    Chris333 Member
    I posted elsewhere, but since you've changed to UPS mail innovations my packages have all sat at the post office at least 3 days. When you used the USPS I would get my orders in 2-3 days. Since UPS MI that time has doubled and tripled.

I have a current order that was shipped on Jan 4th. On Jan 8th (when I would have normally received the package) UPS handed off the package to the post office in Cleveland (45 min from me). It is now Jan 17th and still no package.

Using UPS mail innovations is really making Shapeways look bad. I've never had a problem with the USPS or UPS, but UPS MI is simply horrible. There have been confirmed instances where the package sit at the post office because the post office doesn't care one bit about the UPS.

Please put the USPS back up as a shipping option.