Shapeways Orientation Trouble

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by jevries, Aug 7, 2019.

1. jevries
    jevries Member
    After I uploaded my models I set the orientation for all my models using smoothest finest detail plastic setting and checked twice if I did this right.
    I placed my order and I received my parts but half of them are printed upside down leaving me with models that have a grainy surface on the face part of my models. Totally useless for my purpose.

I checked my orientations again and they were set correct by me. I filed a complaint, send detail pictures and to my suprise they are
    stating that I did not change the orientation from the moment I uploaded my models.

This is ridiculous!! The models are still sitting there in my account the way I have orientated them. How easy is it for them to check
    at what date and time I made the changes??

I will not receive a refund or what I would really like and need a reprint of my models.

Can you proof what you are stating Shapeways?

2. Moms_Sphagetti
    Moms_Sphagetti Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi jevries,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm sorry your models arrived not in the orientation you were expecting! I see you still have a case open with one of my colleagues and we're still investigating this issue further. As soon as we have an update, we will reach back out to you.

As far as orientation goes, whenever an order is placed, we have a system in place that shows the model was manually oriented by the customer (you) but in this case, the order shows no such change made to the models.

This may have been a case where the orientation was set but wasn't saved and just ordered. If you save the orientation in one model or material, it won't save that for another material or model.

I'll let my colleague know about this feedback but please know, we're still looking into this.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to the agent you're working with via email and they'll be more than happy to answer.

All the best,

3. jevries
    jevries Member
    Thank you for your reply.

Because I experienced wrong orientated prints 3 times before with Shapeways I paid extremely close attention to position the models the way they needed to be printed using your 3D tools.

I checked the right material option smoothest detail plastic, positioned the models and saved them.
    After I set all the models I did check again and they were still sitting in the right position.
    It did cross my mind to make screen prints because of prior experiences but I felt confident after this second check.

When I received my printed models from you and noticed they were printed with the rough side up I checked again in 3D tools and all models were still sitting in the orientation I left them in.

Even when I check all the other material options the model remains sitting in the same position.

I have no idea what happenned but like I said when you look into my account you must see when I changed the orientation.
    The original models before uploading are orientated differently anyway so it's a mystery to me that the ones that were printed wrongly ended up being just printed upside down instead of standing on the side, front, left, etc.

I use my models as masters for casting and I need the very best detail with the least amount of post processing to make sure the details remain intact.

4. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi @jevries

Thank you for the feedback on this issue. I hope we were able to help via the email case you opened with us and we will certainly work to improve this experience in the future for you.

5. he6agon
    he6agon Well-Known Member
    Whenever my models are oriented by default to the position I want I still orient them another way then save them. Then I come back right away and orient them the way I want, which was the original position. The reason is if it's in the default position and I accept that I'm giving the impression that I don't care about the orientation. If I save it in another position then change it again, I've made a choice about the orientation. It seems silly to have to go through this, but I received parts that were totally useless when I didn't specify the orientation and just accepted the default. Now I know better.

6. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Thanks for the feedback @he6agon. Our engineers always do their best to orient models to ensure best quality but quality issues can occur depending on the design.