Shapeways Features Wish List For 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ittyblox, Jan 7, 2018.

1. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    On the simpler side how about adding some variant scale options closer to and including 1:1? Looking through the options the largest scale "size" you can hit is 1:8, but in many cases you might want the option of selling a "full" size model and smaller sizes of 3/4, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, or 1/6. A 1:1 model isn't always something huge like a truck or a battleship. Sometimes 1:1 can be something like a full size bowl, a coffee scoop, or a fishing lure and a 1/2 or 1/3 size print can be just as useful as the full sized 1:1 item.

Of course having a generic variant where we can define the variant types would also be useful.

2. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    1. Automatic bulk price reduction (mainly reducing the handling fee )
    2. Colors for FUD (black)
    3. Reduce PremiumBlack prices to other pWSF prices and add a glossy option which adds an layer of varnish
    4. Shipment to Russia
    5. Integration of the existing extension for markup handling (siquod - all asking for that install it, it makes life much easier).
    6. Searchoptions in mymodels (push the same filters used in the general search in this page). Or the other way round, add an option in the general search to restrict the search on shops (that would cover also customers)

Woody64

3. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Well-Known Member
    1. Kits, one purchase page for a whole series of parts including different material / color mixes.
    2. Custom variant labels.
    3. Link to detailed material page near material name on page. (Too many users decide on price only)
    4. Fixed percentage markup with rounding to the nearest dollar.
    5. Improved search.
    6. Customize by shipping to maker first. (To allow for adding custom chains, hardware, etc...)

4. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    I have one already. It's very easy for realtime conversion in browser. I am ready to open method for some money.

5. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    It's not easy, because the SW will need to make special customs declarations.

6. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    5 axis cnc :) thats what i want :p
    a dedicated program to do the price calculation and presheck so i dont need to wait ages for shapeways servers to do it for me, my system is faster
    more materials i want rubery/silicon materials
    zink, cast iron, cast aluminium, coper, cobalt plated, tungsten, carbide,

7. The_Old_Factory
    The_Old_Factory Well-Known Member
    Ontogenie,
    you are saying you are consistantly getting more sales from your Etsy store vs you SW store. I think the problem is that you are sending some of your customers from from Etsy to buy from your SW store (which is a bit strange), & the reason they balk at seeing products illustrated by renders is precisely because at Etsy people do not include renders to illustrate products, they only uses photos because the majority of products at Etsy are handmade handicraft, not sophisticated 3D printed objects for mass production. So I think it is not a good base for comparison IMO.

It's been my experience at Shapeways that my customers buy products illustrated by renderings, not photos. None of my products use photos of actual prints & yet that have never stopped people from buying. In fact all my customers are already quite familiar with renderings to illustrate new products since in my domain (scale modeling), injected plastic model companies, big & small, now all use renderings to advertise their new scale models on web forums because that's the technology they now use to produce their tooling : 3D CAD softwares. & small companies producing resin parts now also do the same.

But then I came to SW with a customer base already included (which I guess was probably not your case), & based on the examples I gave above & those you gave, that could be the other reason why you found it more difficult to sell based on renderings vs based on photos. It is not all client bases that are familiar with renders, some markets are more familiar with it & more willing to buy based on these. My guess is that jewellery is likely a harder sell if photos are not shown.

However I completely disagree with you that SW should discriminate against designers who use renders instead of photos, that would be an absolutely terrible thing to do & one that would make Shapeways lose an enormous amount of money as for practical reasons it is impossible for designers to order all or in other cases even a few of their own designs just to post photos of them on their stores because unless you make products of very small dimensions made with the lowest cost material you know this is not practical nor possible for a majority of designers, except maybe for those who only sell 2 or 3 products. If your products are made of gold or silver for example, you would have to be rich to afford printing them, & you can forget about printing them in everyone of your chosen materials, it would cost a fortune. One example : i have a small keychain the size of a door key, yet printing it in brass, a non-precious metal, would cost me more than 160$ Canadian... the result of SW huge price hike for cast metals. Idem for FED & nylon.

There is no reason for you to look down on your fellow Designers who 'only' use renders instead of photos, as if a 3D printable product did exist 'only' if it's already been printed & photographed. This is totally misunderstanding the technology you are using. The 3D models files at Shapeways ARE the products, in all cases, no matter if they have been printed & photographed before or not, it only depends on the buyer if they chose to buy this or that product, select the 3D file and pay for it to be printed. They are all products. The only difference is that once they buy it it becomes a printed product. But it is already a product before that nonetheless, only a product that's not been printed yet. When you go to a restaurant the meal you order does not exist yet. It is only a series of raw ingredients that need to be cut, prepared, & cooked. Yet it does not make all those haute cuisine restaurants any lesser than those ready to eat sandwiches you can grab at a convenience store. Same here for 3D printable products illustrated 'only' by renders. & also, the listed meals in menus are most of the time not even illustrated by photos but only by a name, & yet millions of people keep buying those 'non-existing' products.

And nobody is fearing a loss of reputation for both cooks & restaurant owners (clients justly assume that they are competent to do their job, instead of assuming wrongly that there must be something wrong with their product if there are no photos).

The real problem & cause of loss of confidence for clients in fact is the habit of SW to cancel sales for products that were well designed & that SW softwares as well as SW technicians block & cancel often due to ignorance about what constitute a valid reason to block a sale & what does not. In the domain of scale models on particular this problem is huge & have been causing massive loss of sales for both designers & SW. The main problem is that SW techs are unable to make the difference between what constitute an essential model feature & what does not, because SW techs for FED, FUD, DLP resin, as well as several other materials are generalists, they are not scale modelers.

SW should absolutely hire scale modelers to do the printing jobs of those parts purchased by scale modelers to stop the onslaught of lost sales & damaged reputations. People who design scale models are usually very precise & make their products based on SW feature sizes & minimum requirements for materials. Yet i have seen several of my sales cancelled for reasons as ridiculous as a copyright mark inside the model which will be invisible anyway once the model is assembled but SW software & techs tell me was 'too small to print sharply'... That's what you call a non-relevant model feature which if SW had technicians who were scale modelers would have understood right away & would never have cancelled the sales for. Idem for items with sprues 'that may break'. The modelers don't care if some of the sprue break during post printing manipulations because they will have to break them anyway to assemble the model. I can say that 50% of my sales were cancelled due to non sense like this & a lot of scale model designers here have lost lots of sales due to similar practices as well. In fact, unfortunately it is clear to me that the tendancy of SW to push us to use thicker sprues is a way to make more money. When we already struggle to make models with a skin thickness as close as possible to the minimum requirements to keep our models at least a modicum competitive in view of the huge material price hikes at SW & that even when we do that the prices before markup are already quite high for any product bigger than a finger ring, even thickening sprues a bit can make quite an increase in the cost of our products (some scale model kits are composed of more sprue then actual parts to hold them all together. You get the idea ).

Also: SW needs to create a Keychains category ASAP. There is none... How are my clients supposed to find more than half of my products if they do not know about their existence unless they were lucky enough to see one them the same minute I uploaded it before it got buried while they were browsing the Newest products category ? All SW designers of Keychains are losing a lots of money right now, & so is Shapeways...

Fix the customer service which is awful: when you have a problem nobody follows on your request or they give you the wrong answer & each time you send the next message you get answers from a different rep each time, forcing you to re-explain everything all over again which wastes an enormous amount of time because no-one is reading the content of your messages...

& fix the links, they never work, at least when i was still trying to generate some last year, before i stopped uding yhat tool as it was sending people anywhere but on my new models pages.

Finally & not the least: fix the FED & FUD quality problem (crystallization), not in 1 year, but now. It's been 1 year already (way too long). Stop it'ls production while you are fixing the problem otherwise you are deliberately selling a product which you acknowledged have a serious quality issue. Or simply replace the material by the better, more stable white material I indicated earlier on the forum following the info I found during my research when I talked to people who had been using the same 3DSystems 3500HD Max printer as SW & who have experience with the materials.

llialynnolsen likes this.
  8. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    To echo some of the previous ideas:

1) Overhaul of the shop page. As of now, it's presented like a standard Wordpress template site which only gives a few options for organization when presentation can be the difference between reeling customers in and scaring them away. The main page is the main thing as we already have good control over each section with being able to order every product in that section in the 'products' editor. I'd love to see sections displayed in the grid instead of 'all products' because as it is, it displays the lowest numbered products overall which means when someone visits my shop, they only see the first dozen or so products from my first shop section which doesn't at all represent the variety I offer in my shop. So either have the image grid on the main shop page display images representing each shop section (either uploaded or chosen by us from the selection of products contained within each section) or allow us to choose which products appear on that front page. This could be accomplished with a box in the 'products' edit section next to each item that we can check to add it to the 'featured products' list, or whatever you want to call it.

While we're at it - can we have the list of tags on the products page default to 'show less' rather than showing all and us having to choose 'show less'. I have nearly 600 models in my shop and that tags list expands again after certain actions and I have to collapse it every time. Quite the bother...

2) FIX THE IMAGE UPLOAD - I think a lot of people are fed up with wrestling with the generated renders. Let's just get this thing resolved once and for all!

3) Allow me to resize the same model to create variants in scale without having to upload a new version for every scale. I realize this one is a bit of a pipe dream based on the way it's currently set up and having to check the geometry of every version of the model but I thought I'd put it out there...if nothing else, as others have said, increase the size of the box that displays the models we want to replace with an uploaded variant so we don't have to resort to guessing if we have the right one or changing the length of the filename so it fits within 12 characters :-/

Also, interesting idea that's WAY outside the box here...

What about offering a photography service for printed models? Given that most designers can't afford to order everything (or even a few things) in their own shop with the sole purpose of taking photos for the product listing, what if we have the option to mark certain products to be photographed by a SW resident photographer and that image is attached to the listing (on the edit page, that we can then check a box to display it with the renders on the product page)? I realize this would only benefit those with models that print as one part (or at least those that don't require any sort of assembly) but if we have the option to have a print from a given listing, upon the first time it is ordered, be photographed before it is shipped, it would provide us with photos of every model ordered that we select and increase the photos in listings across the board. It could be a fee that's taken out of our markup, or something like that.

Just a random, totally unrealistic idea...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  9. woody64
    1) You can achieve by sorting your items in "Default Order" of your Product Page

4) Yes a photo service for items would be great and improve SW marketplace a lot

10. DoctorOctoroc
    I'm not sure what you mean. The default in the drop down on the edit product page? That sorts in ascending order based on how I've ordered them but when customers view my shop, I don't have an option to change what products they see unless I change the order on the edit product page. I'd like the option to sort things as shown in my shop by section, or choose which products are displayed there without having to reorder my products in relation to each other since I currently have it organized by section - for example, everything in my first shop section is 1-99, in my second section is 100-199 and so on - so I would have to reorder things in a less organized way to achieve this which is a hassle if I want to change out 'featured products' that customers see when they visit my shop. And there still isn't currently an option to show a bunch of categories which would be ideal as far as shop organization, showing the main categories first then showing the products within each category when they click on the images representing each category..

11. woody64
    OK, if you use the ordering in "default" to represent your shop sections also, then this option does not make sense for you.
    I have ordered all my items in default so that the customer sees an overview about all my items (with my most favorites ones on the first page). Since sections follow this ordering I see then the most favorite items also as first items in each section.
    Still you can shift 1-99 to a higher range and use the first 100 numbers for each (having 10,11, ... for your range 100-199, and 20,21 for 200-299 .... , which preserves parts of your ordering scheme)

Woody64

12. DoctorOctoroc
    True, although then I can't order the products in each shop section as I want without ensuring that my favorite products on the front page of my shop happen to be the first ones in each section. Having to sacrifice the organization within each section in order to achieve the organization I want on the main page isn't ideal.

For example, the skyscrapers are organized in descending order and in order of smallest scale to largest scale to help customers find what they want. If I want a shorter skyscraper to show up on the main shop page, I'd have to move it to the front of the overall order, which would put it ahead of everything within the range I set for models in the 'Miniature Skyscrapers' section and then when a customer visits that section, it would show up before the taller buildings or the larger scales, which is less desirable for me than having it on the main page at all.

In addition, the products edit section would become a jumble of mismatched products from different categories on the first page which would make organizing things a bigger hassle later on. It just makes the most sense to add some options and additional functionality to the way we can organize things in our shop so we can present the best possible format for our customers and as others have mentioned, being able to display the shop sections as the initial images on the shop page is a great way to solve this issue.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. woody64
    That would all be easier if SW expands the marketplace, so that also a shop can be selected and all the filters including shop sections can be applied. I think that should be a minor extension to the marketplace but would make shop handling much easier.

14. woody64
    hmmmm is "substantial design change" anywhere on anybody's list?

Woody64 wondering ...

15. rolsen01
    rolsen01 Well-Known Member
    The problem appears to be.. we are all thinking of our stores as 'stores' like Etsy, Amazon, etc, BUT Shapeways is NOTHING LIKE THAT.. they are a printing shop.. nothing more.. I've been informed they have a VERY small IT development staff, so very minor tweaks of what is already there is all we're going to get. I've BEGGED for them to start acting like a marketplace, but they refuse, and spend time changing the logo, fonts and layout of current pages that need no help. I've sold over 12,000 parts in Shapeways, and get MANY complaints of the stupid way the storefront works, but it has fallen on deaf ears. Like search, it searches the entire 1 MILLION + parts in the entire system, NOT just my store.. so if one finds a part they like, off they go to someone else's store.. and have no way to return.. you just lost that customer for that visit..

16. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    Here's my list:

1. CUSTOMIZABLE VARIANTS. I don't do "sizes" or "scales". I make toy parts, I use formats and grip-sizes, usually 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm typically, and having to set them up as "small, medium and large" doesn't really fit and is counter-intuitive for my customer base. Also, it would be nice to have for full color sandstone, since you could set up different textures as variants.
    2. Fix shop sections so you can sort them without it reverting to everything in the shop. Or at least allow them to default to newest first.
    3. Picture thumbnail option for shop sections.
    4. Complete overhaul of the Toy category, specifically in regard to the Compatible With/Type "facets". Toy collectors are a prime 3d printing market. They like small items, they like customizing their stuff and they're willing to pay a premium for that "just the way I like it" touch. The assumption seems to be that toy collectors and miniatures collectors are the same, but they are not. Current facets don't make sense for the brands they're associated with, major brands with customizer-heavy collector bases (GI-Joe, MLP, just to name two) are are missing, and the section is entirely boy's toy focused. There needs to be either factets for dolls in the toy section, or dolls need their own category entirely.
    5. Option to embed pictures into the product listings. Not code, just pics, it would help with assembly instructions and the like so customers can see what they need to do more clearly before the purchase.
    6. Maybe some option to let me "recommend" an item when another is purchased, mainly so that my plastic/metal combo kits will be easier to sell.
    A lot of what's been recommended by others I'm down with. If actual color plastic printing can be done it would revolutionize my store.