Shapeways Features Wish List For 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ittyblox, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    Happy New Year everyone!

What better way to start the new year, then by dreaming what this year could mean for Shapeways features?
    What are your wishes for 2018? How about I kick off with my personal wishes:

1. .3MF file format upload support including textures (announced in 2015...)
    2. Beta testing of the upcoming HP Multijet full color printer (to be released this year)
    3. Integration of Windows 3D builder with Shapeways (now only i.competitive service is supported) because of awesome free repair function.
    4. Higher part count and file size limit for uploading
    5. Automatic bulk price reduction (eg. 15% off for ordering the same model x10)
    6. Custom packaging
    7. Integration with a large on and/or offline retailer
    8. Allow shipment and billing address to be in separate countries (for sending prints as rewards/gifts).

Looking forward to see what you wish for most!

Happy "Shaping" everyone,

Stef
    Ittyblox

2. LEProps
    LEProps Member
    Not sure if it's possible but I'd like to be able to rotate and view products in 3D on my phone and iPad.

3. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Better searching engine and more advertisements will be better.

Nickola likes this.
  4. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    i think shapeways should reach out to Shark Tank to do some type of collaboration showcaseing the entrepenurial spirit and projects of its members as well as 3d printing. Worth a shot.

UniverseBecoming likes this.
  5. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Print it anyway for all materials, no returns or reprints on those items. -S

Nickola likes this.
  6. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    Yes as Stef allready mentioned.... improved upload capacity, I spend an enourmes amount of time at the moment to optimise my model with as much as detail as possible, but at the end of it I still lack detail where I want it.
    I am even willing to pay some money for extra data upload, i'm sure this must be possible, keep the current limit and charge those who want to upload more.

7. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    The usual things.

1) Ability to easily specify a set markup amount to all products or at least by material type on the product page, while retaining the ability to independently set a different markup over-ride value afterwards for any particular material if needed.

2) Some kind of directory structure for products that lets you group similar things together, such as in shop sections. And then perhaps the ability to deactivate an entire store section and its contents from being displayed to the public in the shop. That would let you use a non-displayed shop section for other purposes such as private keyed products, as staging areas for designs in progress, etc.

3) Having an option for the primary shop front page to display shop sections in the product grid space as opposed to individual products. It seems to make more sense that if you have 10 shop sections that these are each presented to the customer with a representative image of a product that resides in that section. That helps the customer to visually scan the shop section contents by looking at images as opposed to weeding through the listing on the left side of the shop page. Think of it as a visual index.

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Great ideas guys! :D

I think Shapeways overall is doing a great job. I think that over the years it's been wrangled into a pretty good company! :)

I think the number one thing I'd like to see Shapeways work on is to increase consumer traffic! Figure it out Shapeways! Use the force if you have to! :D

Other less important things to work on, in no particular order, are:

1. Expand the SLA and FDM materials options.
    2. Come up with an automated method for inputting markups.
    3. Come up with an automated way for creating ring sizes and designating materials to those ring sizes.
    4. Fix the problems with Steel.
    5. Create an FAQ for the forum.
    6. Make the printability analysis by employees more robust and less problematic.
    7. Figure out a way to alleviate customer order cancels.
    8. Liven up the Shapeways community with incentives, contests, and projects.
    9. Create a storage system for products so they can be created ahead of time and consumers can get their orders right away.
    10. Offer an assembly service.
    11. Offer a stone setting service for jewelry.
    12. Offer a store management service so us designers can be as lazy as we want to be. :p

Nickola and gordonlardi like this.
  9. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Has an official timeline for this been published anywhere recently ? Full color capability has been promised ever since the first announcements some years ago, same as "up to ten times faster printing" and "half the cost".

gordonlardi likes this.
  10. gordonlardi
    good points!

UniverseBecoming likes this.
  11. gordonlardi
    alot of good advice here SW, i hope you are taking notes

12. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    And make those model file boxes larger so more text can be read. Or make the full names appear when moused over to make it easier to check for accuracy.

model file boxes too small.jpg

Malwen and UniverseBecoming like this.
  13. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    And how about a feature that scans your public store and gives a deficiency report? Maybe a list of products that are missing tags, markups, etc.

14. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    I'd just be happy with a decent "search" function so my customers can find me...

00dwkr likes this.
  15. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Maybe if shops could integrate a third party search engine like Solr or Swiftype, etc. into their own shops and bypass the SW search that would benefit some stores.

16. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Great ideas, Shapies!

Here are my priorities based on what has already been mentioned:
    -automated markup
    -a product section grid on the first page of our shops
    -integration with a large retailer
    -automated ring sizing
    -forum FAQ
    -more FUN, more contests, incentives, projects for designers

In addition, I'd like to see a search filter in a prominent place that allows any user (customer or designer) to differentiate between products that have actually been printed vs. products that are render-only. Or better yet, build us a mirror Shapeways site with only products that have been successfully printed. Throwing in the successful prints with the maybes and then having a customer receive something defective that they ordered as a render-only harms the reputation of both Shapeways and its designers. My opinion. o_O

I realize that one of the goals of Shapeways is to attract new designers by posting their render-onlies, letting them open a shop and hope for a sale, or to feature them so that they're motivated to print something themselves. That's all well and good, but it's been my experience that customers buy objects, not ideas. The sales in my Etsy shop and my online shop are consistently higher than at Shapeways. What customers see in my non-SW shops are actual objects. What they see at Shapeways is a mixture of prints and renders and IT IS CONFUSING. There have been several times that I've given my Etsy/online shop customers the opportunity to order something directly via my Shapeways shop and they've balked. It seems to me that SW is doing a good job of selling itself as a 3D-printing service, but not as a marketplace. The solution: build a separate marketplace, call it something snazzy, let all of the designers who print move their stuff there. Better yet, build a mirror site for jewelry designers, one for tech, another one for miniatures, etc. We all have different needs and different customer bases. Why should we all be lumped in together, and on top of that, lumped in with a bunch of non-products? I realize this probably isn't feasible, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth anyway.

At the very least...a search filter, please. The data's there. Shapeways knows what's been successfully printed and what hasn't. :)

17. Nickola
    Nickola Well-Known Member
    3,4,5,8 would bd great.
    also... skp model upload (for full color sandstone)
    and details automated checks

18. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Good ideas! :)

"Better yet, build a mirror site for jewelry designers, one for tech, another one for miniatures, etc. We all have different needs and different customer bases."

I mentioned something similar regarding jewelry a few years ago and got a reply from Pete on it. Here's his reply. My suggestion is in the reply before his.

I agree with him that a company can do well catering to numerous verticle markets like Etsy and Amazon. However, Shapeways is different because of the 3D printing aspect. Jewelry and porcelain products are the only two product categories that appear as traditional products to consumers. Everything else is mostly 3D printing related. Yes, the 3D printing related products are great for Shapeways but it drags down the products that don't look 3D printed.

Eventually, 3D printing is going to produce products that cannot be decerned that they are 3D printed and composed of materials that are just as robust as traditionally manufactured products. Until that happens Shapeways is stuck with its 3D printed persona that is dragging down the products that don't appear 3D printed.

Ontogenie likes this.
  19. Carlos2k10
    Carlos2k10 Well-Known Member
    I would like to see the HP Color Beta test as well (along with a rationalizations of the print costs for the HPs), I have been waiting for a new full color plastic trial for a while

20. rolsen01
    rolsen01 Member
    My wish list is short.
    1. To have alternative store internal search functionality, so customers can search within JUST my store, and not take them out, cause they can't find out how to get back to it and get lost in the bowels of Shapeways Search. IF they want to search all of Shapeways, there should be a different search box for that.
    2. Multiple level/layers of Sections. So one can drill down to the item they need, not have to scroll through 22 pages of one section (I have 1100 items, so its NUTS finding anything).
    Other than those two items, I'm extremely happy.

00dwkr likes this.