Selling Custom Jewelry. Customer Expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pshao, Aug 28, 2019.

1. pshao
    pshao Member
    Hi all,

I've been designing products and more recently jewelry for several years now. Along the way, I've tried different strategies for selling, marketing, and distributing products.

The incredible customization that 3D printing has allowed is great. I wanted to start a conversation here and get some feedback from other people's experience in selling personalized jewelry.

As you guys know, there is a lead time for each 3D printed model. I'm primarily a CAD guy and would love to make customizations (from personalization to simple ring size variations) digitally and produce to order. However, what are the customers' expectations when it comes to lead times? Should I design pieces that are customized through punching/engraving "base/generic" designs to cut down on lead time (but would also require labor on my part and some investment in tools)? Are customers willing to wait a little longer for more elaborate customizations? What's your production flow/supply chain like?

Just want to solicit some feedback from the Shapeways community. Appreciate it!