Selling An Item That Isn't Visible To The Public

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by ryankittleson, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ryankittleson
    ryankittleson Member
    Hi,

In the past, I've been able to make an item for sale, but leave it not visible to the public and if I sent someone the URL to the item they could order it. But now, they get the sad keanu "item not found" page. Is this function broken? am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

Ryan

2. Moms_Sphagetti
    Moms_Sphagetti Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Ryan,

Good question! It seems the item that you're sending the URL for doesn't seem to actually be for sale if that's the case. You can set the item for sale but not visible for the public by selecting "Offer for sale to others" instead of "Display to the public" but at least one of those options need to be selected for the item to actually be viewable to another person.

Please let me know if you're able to have that selected and if the URL now works!

All the best,
    Arafat

3. ryankittleson
    ryankittleson Member
    yes, that's the way I had it set up and it still didn't work. The solution was to include the ?key... portion of the URL

4. Moms_Sphagetti
    Hi Ryan,

Thanks for that update! I'm glad to hear you were able to figure the solution! If you ever have any questions, please either reach out on the forum or to our support team directly at:

service@shapeways.com

Have a great day!

All the best,

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. gwtthr
    gwtthr Member
    I'm having the opposite problem. I want people to see my creations that are not for sale (they are still in work), but they are not showing up in searches. I have the "display to the public" radio button checked.

-Garrett

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    This is by design unfortunately - a few years back shapeways decided that only things that are actually for sale should show up on shop pages and in searches. Everything else that has only "display to the public" checked is only visible on the "Creations" tab of the designer profile (but will be found by search engines like google).

7. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Oh,that's bad. Why did they do this.:confused:

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You can set them as public and for sale and set a ridiculous price such as $500,000 to make them visible in your store. You could also group them in a shop section called something like "work in progress."

9. Moms_Sphagetti
    Hi Frozenrain,

As mkroeker mentioned, our settings for products to be visible by the public is based on whether the model is actually on for sale. Due to the sheer amount of models on our website, it's best for users to see models for purchase upfront rather than all models you as a designer upload. If the customer likes your designs and wants to discover more of your work, they can do so by visiting your creations page and could even potentially lead to the customer asking you for a custom design!

Like MrNibbles mentioned, you can technically put those "work in progress" models up for sale for a high price or even with a label on the model page as "Work in progress" but for customers in general, it's best for everyone if only models that are actually for sale be visible in our search field.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

10. MrNibbles
    As I recall public-but-not-for-sale items show up on your "Creations" page but so do public-for-sale items.

If only the Creations page could be set to only show public-but-not-for-sale items. I'm not sure what sense there is in having for sale items appearing there in a random order mixed together with the public-but-not-for-sale items. Plus it could be confusing to potential customers that somehow land there. The Creations link is a real mess and could benefit from a display filter or a revised format.

11. mkroeker
    This "Creations" page is just another half-done thing that seems to have been dropped at some point. Surely there must be lots of customers who do not have any of their works set to "visible by the public" for various reasons (perhaps doing only confidential contract work), and being told that this designer "hasn't created any products yet" is not going to create a favorable impression.

12. MrNibbles
    Is the Creations page a vestigial remnant of the site before there were shops? Maybe it's like an appendix. It may have done something in the distant past and now just hangs around for the ride, periodically flaring up for some unknown reason. Or is it just there for people who never activated a shop? It needs to be excised or given a bionic implant to do something productive.

13. mkroeker
    It used to be the designer's profile page before they added "Activities" and all that Followers/Following stuff, but long after the "invention" of shops.

jimmyadvice likes this.