Search Filtering For Model Trains: Scales Problem

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by EtchedPixels, Nov 17, 2016.

1. EtchedPixels
    EtchedPixels Member
    Your page only provides N (1:160) which means a lot of us can't tag our N gauge products properly. Worse still your searches are listing products (mine included) that are N but are *NOT* 1:160 scale as if they were 1:160 which is going to cause confusion and upset to anyone buying them on the basis of your search page filter.

In the worlds largest N gauge market (Japan) N is 1:150 scale, in the UK it is 1:148, and 1:160 in the USA and much of Europe. Pedantically N isn't a scale which is where the problem comes from - N is a track width (gauge) specification.

Can you please fix your N scale description to cover the actual range of scale (1:148-1:160) so we can tag our models properly and your search isn't misleading.

Given scale matters for a lot of models and there are numerous scales you don't or can't list (eg all the architectural scales in use) it would be nice to be able to make the actual scale a property and searchable property of the system, and for customisables especially so.

Alan

2. Is there anyone doing "S" gauge train parts?
    Dave, LBR Enterprises,llc

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    What kind of parts? Doing entire cars in S gauge is very expensive... I've had a number of lookers and requests, but hardly anybody buys them once they see the cost.
    For example, this model has been out there 2 years, and has only sold 3 copies
    http://shpws.me/EvNi
    [​IMG]

4. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    I guess that in facets, all the scales, 1:160, 1:150 and 1:148 should be considered as "N scale".

It would cause problem only in the case, when one train (Shinkansen for example) would be made in all those scales, and customer would order some parts in one of them and other in other and then it would not fit together.

Which will probably never happen, cos it doesn't make sense.

Also 0 scale should be 1:43(.5), 1:45 and 1:48.