Saving to StereoLithography

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by null_and_void, May 19, 2011.

1. null_and_void
    null_and_void New Member
    I thought since Stereo Lithography seems to be the simplest format to use with your service, maybe I should write my own software that saves to that format.

Open sourced software seems to be easier to work with but I have a small question re printers at Shapeways.

Would you mind telling me which kinds of CPUs and Printers you have?

Regarding the cpus and printers, are they (check which apply)

1. CR/LF ( PC/DOS ) [ ]

2. LF ( Unix ) [ ]

3. CR ( Macintosh ) [ ]

In case you were wondering, those letters to the left of the system name are the type or character used to go to the next line in a text or ASCII American Standard for Communication Information Interchange file. And might be important to know which format said printers use so that file(s) might be made useable to them from said concept application.

Working at letting development tools be more available to needy and low income households.
  2. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member

i think the best thing to do is write an email to

they can send the email to the person that knows the most about the printers and then reply back to you
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    So you are wanting to write software for Shapeways or for yourself? If it's for yourself the STL format should be universal across platforms.
  4. bartv
    bartv New Member
    Youknowwho4eva is right; STL is a platform independent file format.

5. null_and_void
    null_and_void New Member
    I agree that it should be cross platform of options and simplicity, generally speaking but for making aware which format works on shapeways hardware, I can only fathom that would be made through an upload of three kinds of file, each of their own new line character. Unless ofcoarse, the support@shapeways can answer which kind of new line character is accepted at shapeways in the .stl (stereo lithography) file format.

I'll send a quick email.
  6. bartv
    bartv New Member
    I don't think they'll be able to answer that for you (the question will probably be routed back to me ;). I'm not aware of any specific requirements on our end, but you can easily test by uploading all three variations. If our site accepts your file, you're good! (We convert all files to an internal file format before sending them off to our printers)

7. null_and_void
    null_and_void New Member
    Thanks. I appreciate your help Sir. As I don't have the development suite chosen yet, it may be a while until I upload sample data files.
  8. bartv
    bartv New Member
    No problem. Feel free to mail me at if you have any questions.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Looking at an STL file in Notepad, it appears not to have any symbolism for line breaks.
    The first line denotes SLA format and from which program it was created, and from there it to give the location of every triangle.
    facet normal 0.99942089 0.00000000 0.03402766
    outer loop
    vertex -0.03768646 4.62432798 3.77802887
    vertex -0.03768646 4.87316406 3.77802887
    vertex -0.03768897 4.87316404 3.77810254
    repeated with the coordinates of each face.

Edit, I tried to manually create a cube but looks like I messed up a coordinate.
    It's amazing how much this will hurt your head just to make a cube lol.
    Last edited: May 19, 2011