Sanding Colored Versatile/strong And Flexible?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by debdeb, Jul 10, 2018.

1. debdeb
    debdeb Well-Known Member
    Hi, one of my printed versatile (formerly strong and flexible) pieces has a rough edge even though it had a fillet in the file. I'm guessing this is probably due to print orientation and size limitations. I'm wondering if it's possible to sand it without damaging the color? Does the colorant permeate the entire object or will I end up with white showing through? Any suggestions on what to use and how to smooth it? I'm not trying to remove the texture, just a sharp edge.

Thanks!

2. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    You could try sanding a little bit but more than likely the white underneath will be exposed. You could always just order your parts white and then dye them yourself. All it is is fabric dye. Spray paint works fine too.

debdeb likes this.
  3. debdeb
    debdeb Well-Known Member
    Thanks. I just tested it and the white does show through :( i did try using Rit dye but wasn’t able to come close to the saturation and evenness of color that shapeways gets.

4. johnc44
    johnc44 Member
    is versitile print is it flexible i am trying to make muscle parts for a costume and i need to know if this print is flexible enough to bend easy

5. Malwen
    Malwen Well-Known Member
    It is flexible if you use thin walls/wires. You might find this video helpful