Ring Sizes - New Models Needed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeyBugs95, Feb 13, 2017.

1. MikeyBugs95
    MikeyBugs95 Well-Known Member
    When adding different sizes for rings, do new models also then need to be uploaded or are is the original model file scaled automatically to fit the various ring sizes? If I need a new model file for each size, should I scale up/down the model or just add material to the inside of the ring?

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    No, it doesn't work automatically. You need to upload a file for each size. The system for doing this was just recently implemented and has problems that can make it unusable. To help to get it working, make sure you use short file names and include the size in the file name.

When it comes to modeling what is typically done is to design at the very smallest size that you can get away with for the design and then you can scale up from there to all of the other sizes. Nothing is usually done to the shank. In your smallest design try to keep the shank as thin as you can get it without going under the 1 mm minimum required for Shapeways' investment cast metals. That way when you scale all the way up to your largest sizes you don't need to worry about the thickness of the shank being too thick.

Let us know how it's going. :)

3. MikeyBugs95
    Well then I guess I will have to decrease the shank size because I have a cutout that decreases to .75mm.

4. UniverseBecoming
    Hmmm. . . That might not be the case. Can you post an image of what it is you're talking about?

5. UniverseBecoming
    Are you talking about your Dragon Ring?

[​IMG]

If so, the shank is fine. That 1 mm minimum is for maintaining strength and this design is well beyond the 1 mm minimum thickness guideline and will be super strong. It doesn't need to be edited. I'll have to correct myself, though, because this 1 mm shank minimum thickness guideline only applies to sterling silver, not the other investment cast metals as I stated earlier.

You may find though when you scale this up, to say something like a size 12, you may find that the shank is too thick to be comfortable when worn.

One problem you may run into on the manual check is the embossing as it may be a little high.

6. MikeyBugs95
    Nope. One that I'm not selling because I made it for myself and 1 friend. Which is the genesis for the question. A different design. I'm not that concerned about that ring because I will need to refine it eventually and do some other things with it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. UniverseBecoming
    I see. Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. :)

8. MikeyBugs95
    Thank you. Despite my overtired nature currently, I think I have the problem and my confusion mostly fixed. I thought I was a size 6 for some reason when the finger I'm using actually measures about an 8 1/4 US according to charts I'm using.

9. UniverseBecoming