Reuleaux Triangle Spheroforms

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by ualrkids, Mar 31, 2010.

1. settinger
    settinger Member
    ualrkids: Thanks a ton for those papers! I had seen papers before on the construction of Meissner tetrahedra, and all of them mentioned "rounding," but this is the only one I've seen that actually explained the process clearly. I don't know about Maple, but I made models of both Meissner tetrahedra in Solid Edge in about an hour.

Next challenge: an open-source Gömböc model! Any tips?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Thanks to clsn aka Mark Shoulson, I printed out two of his Meissner Tetrahedrons. He designed the objects using Blender such that they had the same width as my Reuleaux Spheroforms (3 cm). I now have 5 solids of constant width to roll with.

Here are some photos of the new solds, and then all 5 of them. I've found the best demo is to put 3 of them on a table and then cover them with a glass plate. This way you can see them rolling around underneath.

IMG_0610_crop.jpg

IMG_0616_crop.jpg

IMG_0614_crop.jpg

IMG_0619_crop.jpg

IMG_0615_crop.jpg

3. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    Wow, excellent! Thanks for the pics, gibell! (I still haven't ordered the Meissner solids myself). I've been pondering/tinkering with ways to improve on them, to make the shapes smoother, etc., but looking at the pictures I may not need to. Looking forward to getting a set of all five myself.