Resizing help!

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by stardust, Jul 15, 2016.

1. stardust
    stardust Member
    Hi all,

Kinda new to the site here, I have some models I am trying to get turned into 3D printouts but the site errors out when I try to upload them. I've been in touch with the service and support section on the site, and am advised the models I uploaded were too large for their printers. Anyone out there able to resize them for me? I've tried but am having no luck. Thank you!

2. accushape3d
    accushape3d Well-Known Member
    Did you select the correct units when you uploaded the file? If the file was exported in mm and you uploaded to shapeways in inches for a quote, it will be big. (ie-30 mm uploaded as inches would be 30 inches) Just wanted to double check that b/c I've done that a bunch!
    Hope this helps!

3. stardust
    stardust Member
    I have tried that, had a couple models that wouldn't upload as inches but worked under millimeters. The ones I have won't upload AT ALL.

4. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
    What file format are you trying to upload?

If you're doing colour printing than .x3d messes up all the time for me, I double check in netfabb.

5. stardust
    stardust Member
    The files I have are .OBJ. But I also have them in .MESH.

6. elopez3d
    Well you can try netfabb out for yourself, free to download.
    I'll also take a look if you want to upload them here.
    or email; elopez3d@gmail.com

7. stardust
    stardust Member
    email sent

8. elopez3d
  9. 1015383_deleted
    1015383_deleted Well-Known Member
    Hi there!

I read through your posting and we can easily help you with this. We do similar projects all the time!

I will need more information to properly quote your project. Please send it to jason@jcadusa.com or call me directly 1.888.202.2052 to discuss. I'm basically looking for sketches, pictures of similar products and/or any other information you have about your project so it's clear to me what needs to be done.

After you send it, visit our website http://jcadusa.com and checkout our Virtual Reality online portfolio with 100's of 3D interactive parts we've made here: https://sketchfab.com/jcad. All of the parts on this link can be viewed in VR (virtual reality) using a VR headset. Ask us about how to get a FREE VR headset!

We specialize in:

- 3D Mechanical CAD Design

- 3D Design for 3D Printing

- 3D Design for Injection Molding

- 3D Printing & Prototyping

- Injection Molding & Manufacturing

- Mold Making & Mass Production

- Machining, Welding & Fabrication

- Product Renderings & Animations

- PCB Enclosure/Electronics Box Design & Manufacture

Here's a published article about our company: http://3dprint.com/95606/j-cad-inc-makemy3dfile/

Here's a published article about a project we did for another client: http://3dprint.com/79057/3d-printed-cigar-ashtray/

Here's a short video about J - CAD Inc.

Looking forward to speaking to you soon about your project!

Jason | CEO J - CAD Inc.
    jason@jcadusa.com
    www.jcadusa.com

“People have great ideas…we turn them into reality!” - Jason | CEO J - CAD Inc.

Attached Files:

10. stardust
    stardust Member
    Wow... looks like you know what you're doing!

Got some things on the go, I'll let you know how they end up. You've given me some ideas, for sure!...

11. stardust
    stardust Member
    An update!

I have a new model I'd like to try and get printed if possible, this one is in a .SOD format, which the site does not recognize at all. Anyone out there willing to look into this and converting it at all?

12. GrumpyAlison
    GrumpyAlison Well-Known Member
    For the future, I've found that some programs export .obj files better/smaller than others. Maya I've found, is usually ridiculous, but if I export the same file from Modo or zBrush the files are literally half the size.

I realize this isn't super useful if you don't have these programs, but there may be some free ones that export better than Maya too, I just don't know what they are :p zBrush has a free trial, but that's only relevant for so long.

Hope that was helpful!
    -Alison

13. stardust
    stardust Member
    Though not very useful, that's still informative, thanks. I'll see what Google knows, anyone have any recommendations?

14. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    would be helpful if you specified the source of the file. Looking around on internet SOD is either spreadsheet design(not likely) or proprietary format from video game either Starfleet Armada or Wolfestein 3D. If it's game asset, you have to check the game's mod tools for conversion utilities to a more common 3d format, usually OBJ or 3DS; you might have restrictions on reverse engineering such data as well.

as far as 3d tools go, Blender is best option. It's free and full featured and outputs to common 3D formats that SW will recognize.

15. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    "Storm3D Object Definition" file format as used in Activision's "Starfleet Armada" game is described here:
    http://armadafiles.com/files/armada...-object-definition-sod-file-format-18/details
    the geometry portion of it appears to be a triangle mesh defined by indexes into a coordinate array not unlike
    VRML's IndexedFaceSet object definition. Searching with "storm3d" and "stl" as keywords found a windows shareware
    named "3D Object Converter" or 3dconverter.exe by one Zoltan Karpati that claims to support an impressive 730 file formats, supposedly including reading from sod and writing to stl.

16. stardust
    stardust Member
    WOW. Just tried the 3D object converter and it works! Now to find a format in this colossal list...!

Many thanks, mkroeker!