Reshaping Warped Ultra-detail-plastic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jasong00, Feb 14, 2018.

1. jasong00
    jasong00 Member
    Sorry if this isn't the right board for this question. First time posting here.

I have a ultra-detail plastic piece that is very slightly warped, and I need to un-warp it. Is there a good method for reshaping ultra-detail-plastic? I've used hot water on some plastics and it works fine. However, certain plastics can shrink and warp even worse in reaction to heat.

2. jasong00
    jasong00 Member
    If anyone else happens across this post, I decided to just give it a try. ultra detail plastic does soften slightly in warm water. my piece is fairly thick (about 1-3mm) so leaving it in tea-temperature water for 15 seconds softened it enough that i was able to reshape it.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Glad you got it resolved! In our Finishing Techniques Section, this resolution had been brought up before

4. sapguy
    sapguy Member
    I can confirm this works. I had an item about the size of a deck of cards and 5 mm thick.. fine detail. It came warped. I used rubber pads to place it against the bottom of a steel cooking pan and immersed it in boiling water for 1-1.5 minutes. I then plunged it under cold tab water.

The item was no longer warped and sat flat.