Recycling

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by jeff, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jeff
    jeff New Member
    are shapeways materials post consumer recyclable?

WSF is vinyl based- that'd be a #3 recycle
    i'm not sure about the acrylic and ABS based materials

reason i ask is i was thinking I might add the recycling symbol and number to some of my products so if they reach the end of their life they don't end up in a landfill.

recycle number meanings

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    If you look on the materials page and click on each one, there is a "Properties Panel" which lists "recyclable?". All the materials I have looked at say "no" there.

3. aeron203
    aeron203 New Member
    Both the RepRap and MakerBot projects are using PLA plastic made from corn and recyclable.

http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/01/09/bio-friendly-plastic-for -your-makerbot-polylactic-acid/

I don't think the machines Shapeways uses can use that plastic unless the printer manufacturer offers it (without voiding the warranty). I have not seen anything about a recyclable material on the Stratasys website yet.

Statasys' recent deal with Hewlett Packard means this issue is about to be front-and-center. Hopefully they realize that if they they were to ignore recycling options, their whole idea would get shot down by consumers, myself included.

4. crsdfr
    crsdfr New Member
    WSF is Nylon bud.

5. jeff
    jeff New Member
    both helpful answers, thanks!

6. jeff
    jeff New Member
    yea i knew that and meant that but hands typed vinyl, both use 'y' as vowels tho

7. crsdfr
    crsdfr New Member
    Haha I get it wrong as well, and I run these machines! (not for shapeways)

Vinyl dye is good for colouring Nylon parts :p

8. joris
    joris New Member