Question on Gaps for Silver

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by cadalu, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cadalu
    cadalu New Member
    So I have a very detailed small jewelry model that probably can't be printed anyways, but I get rejections that the gap between the details are too small. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in the design rules?

193334-3.jpg

I have a really neat technique of filling in the grooves with my own enamel/resin blend so I'm curious what the limits are.

I thickened the details up quite a bit to be printable but I guess that leaves the gaps too small? Thanks for any help!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    The closest thing I see is that the distance between holes must be .6mm. I'm guessing this may be the number, but I'll see if I can't get you an official answer.

3. cadalu
    cadalu New Member
    Thanks, YouKnowWho! I thought someone might have run into this before...

From an earlier rejection note, I think it's a problem with cleaning, not printing?

The silver Inca pendant I saw in the arrived forum section had some very small details and grooves.

Maybe my details are too deep? I figure I should sort out what I'm doing wrong before I keep tormenting whoever rejects models. :p

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Ah maybe it has to do with the gap being smaller than the depth. It should be at least 1:1 if not wider than it is deep.

5. cadalu
    cadalu New Member
    Ah, the 1:1 issue. Ok, so if my details were raised 1.5 mm, the gaps between details would also need to be 1.5mm?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    exactly

7. cadalu
    cadalu New Member
    Thanks YouKnowWho!!!! Glad there's always a shapie to answer my idiotic questions.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Just don't ask service how many times they've had to remind me about that rule :p

9. erckgillis
    erckgillis New Member
    oooo good to know.... :blush: