Question About Interlocking Parts

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by ajbenson09, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ajbenson09
    ajbenson09 Member
    So I'm making a pendent, with a cap that will be attached with a hinge. My question is when I submit my model to be printed do I need to submit the model with the cap open? So it doesn't inadvertently get printed closed. Or does it not matter? I'm trying to decide between polished and raw silver for my printing material.
    Thanks for the help!

2. aiyaitsai
    aiyaitsai Member
    Oh good question. Interested in hearing the answer. Can it be modeled like this together?

Or do we have to just model + print the pieces separate and connect the pieces ourselves by sticking a pin in the middle?

upload_2017-3-18_20-40-28.png

3. hanelyp
    hanelyp Well-Known Member
    There's a minimum clearance, specified in material description, to insure parts don't stick when they shouldn't. A hinge may need even more clearance to let unconsolidated material out, making for a sloppy hinge. Also, some materials (including silver) don't allow interlocked parts in a print.

4. ajbenson09
    ajbenson09 Member
    Sorry, for the late reply just got back from vacation.
    Thanks for the guidance, I thought silver had an interlocking parts option? Well if it doesn't I guess I'll print my pendent in stainless steal, at least I'll be saving money. ^_^

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Interlocking parts are allowed in silver (and the other cast metals), but I am not sure that this will work for the kind of hinge you are planning to create. What they do is join the parts for casting and remove the connector afterwards, so this is more geared towards intersecting wireframes or objects dangling from a loop within a frame.

6. ajbenson09
    ajbenson09 Member
    Thanks for confirming that. I couldn't figure out why my design wasn't being checked as interlocking. I made a quick model with like you said dangling objects, and it passed.

So to kind of diverge. If I have a model with enough clearance in between the parts. Could it move, being made in stainless steel?

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Steel is a completely different process, a bit like ceramics in that a fragile, loosely bound precursor is sintered to produce the final part. This does not allow the creation of interlocking parts in situ and the final part - a composite of a sintered steel "sponge" filled with bronze - has mechanical properties similar to cast iron so even both parts printed separately would be near impossible to assemble.

8. ajbenson09
    ajbenson09 Member
    So bottom line, if have my pendent printed in stainless steal, even with enough clearance, it still won't be able to move?