QASHQAI Flip Key DIY

Discussion in 'Tips and How-tos' started by be_on_edge, Nov 16, 2010.

1. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    Flip Key (V4) for Nissan Qashqai

[​IMG]

• Parts needed:
    • Original Qashqai key
    • Top Shell
    • Bottom Shell
    • Flip key mechanics with uncut blade

Original Qashqai key:
    You already have this key, and it is the reason you are reading this page ;)
    [​IMG]

You can buy shell here at shapeways:
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/be_on_edge

Top Shell

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    Flip Key mechanics with virgin blade
    I have not found where to buy online only flip key mechanism. It is then necessary to buy a completely flip key as the necessary parts. We will use the screws, flip body, flip button and spring.
    The key, however, is quite comprehensive economic (a ten €). Do a search on ebay with the following words: "Nissan flip key"
    The key to buy must have one of this shapes:
    [​IMG]
    if u want to be sure it is compatible send me a PM with the link to the flip key you found and i will confirm about his compatibility.

Assembly instructions:

File PDF:
    (this instruction are related about my first version, but the procedure is the same)
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chro me=true&srcid=0B4C5irIVLNtGYTQ4Mzk2NTUtYTU0OS00YmI2LWJhN mMtNjE5YjM3ODJlNTM3&hl=en

Video instructions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQ53UQLAa4

Cutting the virgin blade
    incisione chiave.jpg
    The virgin key that comes with ebay shell will be probably 4 mm longer than the orginal key.
    V4 shells are modelled for original key dimensions so when you go to cut the virgin key at a shop you must tell to the operator to respect original size.

The material to remove is marked by red in the above image.

It is a quite simple work to do, just be sure to allign the virgin key sockets marked in orange with the ones that are in the original key.

Surface Finishing:

Material: White Strong & Flexible

Smothness:
    With this material there is some steps due to the printing tecnique. With Black Strong & Flexible this steps are not presents.
    [​IMG]

To make it smoth i just used sandpaper. 5 minutes of work:
    [​IMG]

Paintings:
    To paint the shell i decided to use spray color (RAL 9006).

This material is quite porous so i had to spray 3/4 times before it stop to absorb and start to get smoth.
    [​IMG] (this is no finished yet)

When finished i will ad a coat of transparent paint to protect it from scratch.

I just made some experiment with heat resistant paint, here the result that is pretty cool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Wow. Nice tutorial. I was thinking about doing similar with my Honda Civic key.

5. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    very nice tutorial!

6. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    Thanks ! :D

7. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    New picture:
    [​IMG]

8. virusT
    virusT New Member
    Hi,

I have just ordered the shell, but I have some questions.

Are the screws included? In case they are not, what kind of screws should I get?

How difficult is to extract the electronics from the original key? could you add some picturers or video?

Thanks

9. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    Screw are included with the mechanics,

Extracting the electronics from original key is easy as change the battery.

Did you read the instruction over here ?

Francesco

10. virusT
    virusT New Member
    Yes, I watched to the videos and read the assembly instructions that you provided in the post.

I was just curious about the way to extract the electronics from the original key.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  11. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    BE CAREFULL !
    This key mechanics is NOT compatible with my shells.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
  13. be_on_edge
    be_on_edge New Member
    MORE INFOS ABOUT SCREEWS

Usually the screws you need to join the sheels comes with the mechanincs that need to be bought as seen in the instructions page. I usually sugges, if more screew are needed to come in an hardware store with them and buy similar ones.

In terms of kind of screews any one like: Triangular self tapping screws.

Definition in wikipedia says: Other screw threads are designed to cut a helical groove in a softer material as the screw is inserted .

Head of screew should be "button" type or "flat" type.
    Lenght anything betwen: 5 and 8 mm

I do suggest "Phillips" type of socket, but any type is ok as soon as you own the proper screewdriver.

Diameter of the treadh is like 2 mm, but could be little more, the material is kinda elastic.

Hope this helps.