Programmable LED Lights?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 285986_deleted, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience with
    placing miniature LED lights (or fiber optic) lights
    that you could program to change colors that
    can be placed inside a 3d sculpture?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    It works well with the WSF material. Nowadays, single RGB LED's are available with built-in circuitry to cycle through colors. You can simply place a cr2032 battery between the leads (like an LED throwie), and that will go by itself for a few days of constant use.

If you want something more permanent and controllable, there are screw-in style full-color LED fixtures with remote available at absurdly cheap prices. If you want to roll your own and write your own custom program with multiple channels, etc, you could probably put something together from Adafruit parts/kits for less than $50.

Personally, I would love for Shapeways to offer LEDs, cr2032s, and magnets (essentially the components of LED throwies, which are available dirt cheap in bulk) the same way they had earing hooks and necklaces. I have run this by some of them and response was lukewarm, but I'll bet a handful of nice examples would be more convincing.

3. sounds like a good idea for Shapeways to take up.
    I'm also interested in getting one of my 3d sculptures
    to float in the air with magnets.Amazon is sell
    Levitron Revolution Platform With EZ Float Technology,
    do you have any experience with that?

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I have seen magnetic levitation demos, but I haven't considered to display my work. Most of my items are over the 13 gram max weight, but I can imagine that working well for dynamic designs that look good spinning.