Print Rejection After Successful Printing - Again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Nov 29, 2017.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    This has to be the most common gripe that I have written about using Shapeways service, along with many other people complaining about the same thing. I thought that Shapeways had come to a solution to this already?

I have had one of my designs printed in WSF. The piece includes a hinged part. I received no notice from Shapeways that there might be a problem and when I received it the piece had printed exactly as I wanted. I then included photo's of the model on the model page and opened it up for purchase. Now, because someone wants one in BLACK SF I get notified that the order is cancelled because the tolerance on the hinge isn't sufficient!

This is my number one complaint with Shapeways - as it is with many other members. We go to the time and expense of getting models printed for ourselves to prove it will print, and then you go and reject it when a customer orders! I can understand if it was a different material, but, no, this is the SAME MATERIAL, just a different colour.

This rejection process makes members look like buffoons with no sense of credibility to the buyers.

What happened to the implementation that I thought Shapeways was going to do, or had done, whereby the Maker gets notified of a problem and is given a chance to work it out with them before the order is cancelled? Did I just dream that, or perhaps slip into an alternate reality once?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Whenever I see a post about strange unexpected rejections, or experience them myself, I always imagine that this guy is working somewhere at Shapeways.

[​IMG]

alexson and lensman like this.
  3. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    It is my fate that I have to struggle with too thin walls on 99.9% of my models.

What's more:
    I create a part that goes through the check without any problems - if I then arrange the parts several times and connect them with bars, then the combination becomes unprintable.
    BUT not because of the connectors! Suddenly too thin walls are displayed, where there was none before.

Today:
    Single Part ( Nylon ):
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/6920418/0/6?key=83e59cc6aee082a6b26d17d1fc45b21c

Same part 48x & connected together:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/6920352/0/6?key=718b60b457291d5b925a0ffe3dfae0bf

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The red marks are visible on the single part as well (and probably spurious), most likely it is the number of (perceived) defects in the sprued model that causes the warning triangle to be displayed. As long as it is just a warning, you should still be able to order the model (and possibly receive a rejection for a completely different reason from the manual checks, in particular during the pre-holiday rush when I suspect they have students and middle managers help out with checking)

5. lensman
    Yep, and just this morning received another rejection for a part with loose shells that has printed before. :confused:

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    As far as I know, the implementation of the notification system is still in the beta stage where one can volunteer to try it for one's orders of own models. At least that was the last official statement I remember seeing here, so in effect only a small improvement over "print it anyway" that gives them an opportunity to learn how to manage putting orders on hold.

7. lensman
    Thanks. Guess I'll have to check that out.

Edit: Yes, now I remember why I didn't sign up for it - The beta is only available to members for own orders. I really don't care if Shapeways thinks I'm a Wally for designing something with an error and cancels the order - It's when customers order something and it gets rejected, THEN I get annoyed since it makes the designer look like an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    The same issue I'm also now facing for several weeks. Mainly for the type of bearer I am using to connect items.

1) The same type of bearer for Acrylate which has passed in summer a dozens orders, seems now to break every time. Consequently all new designs lead to a rejection. Changing the bearer also leads to rejection.
    (In this case I have discussed the designs with SW as beta user, ordered items myself, had a dozens of items with 100% print success ....)

2) Now the same happend with my standard design for pWSF, Suddenly I get a denial although having used 2mm bearer size (can't count how often I have changed that already, with new test orders of myself, ...)

In my case the trouble is that for most of my items people are not willing to pay x times the handling costs when ordering the same item. One of my customers now paid $1500 of handling costs by ordering a dozen types of items in the same material, all the same bearers, and all the same size and principal layout.

Woody64

9. lensman
    Wow, and I thought I had problems... That's crazy.