Precision of Stainless Steel printing

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by danbrandner, Mar 21, 2013.

1. danbrandner
    danbrandner New Member
    There is a piece I have modeled that I uploaded to shapeways, but before I actually purchase it, I wanted to know how precise the printing methods are. The model I have needs to be pretty precise for various reasons (like within .01ish inches). So if anybody can give any insight to how precisely shapeways prints its stainless steel, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    The accuracy listed on the guidelines page is +-2mm. So about .08". There is a good bit of shrinkage and warpage possible in the production of stainless.
  3. Polytech
    Polytech New Member
    As a theoretical question though: does anyone know if 0.01" (or better) accuracy is attainable in any non-precious metal using any of 3D printing methods, perhaps some not (yet) offered by Shapeways? I've got a part I'd like to print that needs to spin really fast and +- 2mm is going to create a lot of dis-balance and vibration, and I'm not even sure the part will stay in one piece anyway because the centrifugal forces will probably rip it apart at 5000+ RPMs. So, any tip for a better way to print it will be greatly appreciated!
  4. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    I don't think that metal printing could meet that level of detail -- yet. As with everything, it will continue to expand and innovate new ways and new technologies, but for now it's fairly rough (from a precise design point of view, anyway). I'd suggest ordering it in plastic, casting it, and getting it made in metal the old-fashioned way for now.

As far as RPM and holding together goes, I'm out of my depth there :)
  5. psalmu
    psalmu New Member