Post Production Uses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhall65, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. jhall65
    jhall65 New Member
    What happens to the completed product if it IS exposed to food & drink or heat.............Products of plastic / stainless / silver.
    I need to tell my customers what to expect!
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    White Strong Flexible (WSF) which is also known as Nylon 12, and has a MSDS listing of this:

    Section 11 - Toxicological Information
    Skin Contact: May cause skin irritation.
    Eye Contact: May cause eye irritation.
    Multiple Routes: May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion, or
    skin absorption.
    To the best of our knowledge, the chemical, physical, and
    toxicological properties have not been thoroughly investigated.

    If the government-required documentation doesn't specify what will happen, you can bet that Shapeways does not have the resources to do a clinical trial to find out what would happen if you ingest some of these materials.

    Use common sense: don't print items designed to contain or serve food, and don't eat food that has been in contact with items that have not been rated as food-safe.
  3. tessman
    tessman New Member
    I think jhall65 was asking what the effects on the material would be to exposure to other substances, not the effect on the user when exposed to the material. Maybe someone with more experience than I have can answer this (complex) question.
  4. duann
    duann New Member
    Hi all,

    In a non clinical test, my child has managed to ingest both 3D printed WSF and Stainless Steel with no side effects evident,

    though I do not recommend it on a daily basis.

    Silver is pure sterling silver so it would be the same as any other silver object. Same with Glazed ceramics.

  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    :laughing: using your kids as guinea pigs? From what I've heard, ingesting silver can be good for you. One of the benefits of being born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
  6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Back when my first child was announced, a wise man told me:

    To grow up, every child needs to eat a small amout of dirt.
    It doesn't hurt them, and it's necessary for proper development.

    Therefore, when your kid is sitting in the back yard eating mud pies...

    "It's all part of growing up"
  7. ancientbuzzard
    ancientbuzzard New Member
    Swallowing a 7/8th of an inch metal bolt at 18 months didn't do my son any harm. During the three days waiting for it to re-appear, the impact of stress on us parents was much greater!

    After the event I realised he was clearly showing us he had an iron defficiency! :laughing: