Post-brexit Access To Sw From Uk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barkingdigger, Feb 2, 2017.

1. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Hi SW folks,

Now that it seems the UK is doomed to a hard split from the rest of the European Union, is there any plan to open a SW factory here in the UK? I'd sure hate to see new Customs charges make all those tasty FUD model-detailing goodies pouring out of the Netherlands become too expensive to sell here!

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Mwahaha... better move to Eindhoven while you still can... I guess nobody knows exactly what will follow the "hard brexit" - could be anything from business (mostly) at usual to HRH taking refuge in The Gambia as fights break out over the last casks of port wine and drinkable beer.

3. barkingdigger
    It's the threat of an extra 20% or more "customs fee" slapped on that worries me! Can't stand port, and everyone knows the best beers are brewed in Dublin (Guinness) and Dunbar (Belhaven). Oh, but we might lose Scotland, and Ireland is in the EU - oh b***er!...

4. mkroeker
    Not sure if the internet needs another brexit thread, but here goes:
    - the continent cannot risk losing access to whisky and shortbread, so Scotland definitely has to go.
    - if it all comes to the point where you have to pay significant customs fees on all imports, cheap access to FUD models will probably be the least of your worries
    - the UK may join the US as a 51st state, whereupon prints could be sourced from shapeways NY
    - according to older threads, high fees are already a problem for designers in Brazil, and people in Russia probably cannot get anything from shapeways unless they can somehow arrange for pickup abroad. Shapeways has not built factories there although these would probably have access to a regional market bigger than the UK.

5. barkingdigger
    But we have a perfect space for a new Factory of the Future right here in Dagenham! Honest...

6. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    One of my little joys in life (here in the USA) is clicking on a little box for "no VAT" when I buy something from anywhere in Europe.
    So at least you'll have that to offset any added import duty...

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Import duty is one thing, VAT another. Both will be charged, but in UK at the same time. And then carriers want handling fees for the paperwork.
    Worse is when the company doesn't care/hasn't set up the right export procedure and charge VAT anyway (not SW, but others do it).

8. Cannot see any box for ticking "no VAT" for UK.

9. runcyclexcski
    runcyclexcski Member
    Been ordering with shipping to the UK for quite some time now (since 2014). Shapeways prices (until a few months ago at least) were still by far much better than anyone was asking locally in the UK, with VAT etc. May be I need to look again. Never had pieces stuck at customs. But OK, I admit, haven't yet ordered since Brexit took effect :(

10. mkroeker
    Brexit hasn't taken effect yet - you are still in the transition period where all previous trade and VAT rules are still in effect until december while future trade agreements are supposedly being negotiated. Any recent price changes are entirely due to business decisions at shapeways (though some may have been motivated by increased cost).