Porous Vs. Non-porous Material

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by lorrie, Nov 28, 2016.

1. lorrie
    lorrie Member
    Hello,
    I am looking to 3D print a 1" elbow drain.
    I need it to be non-porous.
    Any affordable ideas with respect to material?
    Thank you,
    Lorrie

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Anything but Nylon and Aluminum should be non-porous. What are you draining? you would want to make sure the material will withstand the use.

3. lorrie
    lorrie Member
    I believe acrylic will do the job. Water will be draining from the bottom of a stainless steel "box". Not much water at all, just when our freezers have condensation. Current cost to make what we want-$40K tooling. This is much cheaper.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Odd that a part like that doesn't exist already. I'm guessing there's some other factors? The acrylic is a uv cured resin, that can break down over time from light. I'd use pla.

5. runcyclexcski
    runcyclexcski Active Member
    SW says all of their plastics, except porcelain, are not dishwasher safe. Coat with an epoxy resin? But I am not sure how stable the coating will be (see my most recent post) and how quickly it will degrade (depending on what you are flushing...)

I have tried many of SW plastics for fluidics... they absorb water at different rates (some in hours, others in weeks). Organic solvents like EtOH : even worse. Unless your design is moulded in porcelain or metal, I would steer clear

In my experience, simple parts like elbows are cheaper to buy injection-moulded at plumbing at Home Depot, hydroponic stores, aquarium suppliers, etc, unless it's a very sophisticated design.