Poly with multiple shaders into texture?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by SomniumDS, May 13, 2013.

1. SomniumDS
    SomniumDS New Member
    I was wondering if this was possible. Using Maya I have a polygon that has different faces colored in by different Blinns, first did it with file texture, but colors weren't exact. Question is... is there a way to export this into x3d. I understand that it needs a texture file and since there isn't one I was wondering if there was a way to make one. First tried exporting to wrl, but doesn't seem to work so I'm goin with x3d.
  2. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    You can have your texture and x3d file within .zip file and than you upload just *.zip. It worked for me.
  3. SomniumDS
    SomniumDS New Member
    Well the thing is the texture isn't actually a texture. I just have faces in Maya colored at the moment. There's no actual texture file.

Attached Files:

4. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    if you cant create texture from it you need to export it into VRML2. At least that is only format that i know and can carry color information for polygons....
  5. SomniumDS
    SomniumDS New Member
    Hmm... alrighty i'll figure something out. Thank you
  6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    That - sometimes called "vertex colors" - should work in either VRML or X3D. However the color capabilities of
    the printer used for the "full color sandstone" material are comparable to a first-generation color inkjet, so not all
    colors come out equally well.
  7. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Here's a model that I created to test the vertex colors.

As you can see, the whole color pallette is rather dark, but if you stick with the brighter colors, it can turn out rather well.
    I had one of these printed http://shpws.me/loMS and it turned out almost identical to the render.