Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by Fj00, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Fj00
    Fj00 New Member
    I have a project that I just started, but unfortunately the modeling programs aren't intuitive, and I don't want to spend hours learning how to use them. I think it should be easy to make, since it is just a bunch of rectangular prisms.

I have an idea to make a custom Scrabble board, bigger than the usual size, 21x21 rectangles, instead of 15x15. The base would be wood. However, I need a special raised plastic grid on top, so that tiles fit inside, and don't move. Here is what it looks like in text:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Did that work? The lines and dots should be connected, straight, and of plastic. The rectangles in between the lines are open.

Here is a website that makes what I am trying to do, but in the standard 15x15 size:

http://www.customscrabbleboards.com/

I have the dimensions for everything. Each individual cell inside the grid should be 0.75" x 0.8125" of no plastic, with a border of plastic 0.0625". The depth for everything should be 0.0625". The whole grid should come out to 17.125" x 18.4375" x 0.0625". That is:

0.0625*22 + 0.75*21 = 17.125"
    0.0625*22 + 0.8125*21 = 18.4375"
    Depth of 0.625"

The grid works out to slightly less than 3 cubic inches.

I would buy a thin sheet of plastic and glue the grid onto it.

Can it be made into .stl format? What am I looking at in terms of labor? Thanks.

2. baltimore
    baltimore New Member
    The labor would take most modelers about a minute or two, but the print is pretty large (too large?), and might cost a bit. It might even need to be split into four pieces. For this type of project I'd suggest using a laser cutter.

3. Fj00
    Fj00 New Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Are there stores that do laser cutting, and I could just tell them the specs I need?

4. baltimore
    baltimore New Member
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/452469/

it'll cost $68.91 to print it here. There are online laser cutting services, and for those you'd have to send a 2d drawing. most places charge between $1 and $2 per minute to cut. I'm not sure how long it'd take though, and you might also need to do it in more than one piece.

5. Fj00
    Fj00 New Member
    Nice, you made it. I actually laughed when I saw it. Thanks. Maybe laser cutting will be better, but at least I have a viable alternative.

6. mctrivia
    mctrivia New Member
    I know someone with a laser cutter. They charge $100 startup fee but pretty low cost per part if you need duplicates. If you are interested I can inquire about costs. Sipping may be a problem WSF may be great option as it is flexible and I bet that print could be rolled up

7. Fj00
    Fj00 New Member
    Thanks for the response, but I have already found a place that can do it for me locally.