Organic Vase?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by NathanielCustom, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Preface
    Back when I was in high school art class I had a design in my head for one of our clay projects. The problem was that I couldn't make proper progress on the design because there was not enough time.
    The solution at the time was to keep damp/wet paper towels on the project to keep it somewhat malleable for the next day. By the next morning the piece would have either dried too much and would crumble when working with it or lose its form from being too damp.
    Hind sight reveals that if I were more clever I could have made supports by using a combination of clay and Popsicle sticks or made a frame with wire... but I wasn't as resourceful then, and may not have had access to those anyway.
    /Preface

Welcome to today. While waiting for a different project to be made by Shapeways I came to the realization that, "Hey! With this 3D stuff I might be able to make that old project".

So, I have dinked around for several hours to get a rough sketch out in the 3D world and this is what I have for my preliminary shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not 100% sure where I am going with this project. Like in high school, I kind of just feel out some of my pieces as they go. I am satisfied that I have now taken a portion of the original thought and "jotted" it down to keep.
    However, in this early stage I would like some feedback (positive and negative) to maybe help me decide whether I want to continue pursuing this piece or to lay it to rest now that I finally have a portion of it somewhat tangible (be it electronically).

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I like it, what software are you using? are you planning on keeping it square, or rounding it?

3. I'm working with Blender. I enjoy it so far. I came from using Gmax for a school project over 5 years ago and wish there were a few features added to Blender that Gmax was capable of... but overall, great program.

If I put anymore time into this project my intention would be to round out the edges to give it more of an organic feel. The only piece that I would leave more "mechanical" is the triangular-prism shaft in the middle... but, what really happens would remain to be seen.

4. Tommy_2Tall
    Tommy_2Tall Member
    Hi!

I don't know how much you've learned about Blender so far but try adding a "Subdivision Surface" ("SubSurf" in older versions) modifier to that object.

Depending on the layout of your polygons the result may very quite a lot though..
    But it's still a very quick way to get it more "organic" with just a few clicks.