Onion Slice

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    The Onion Slice arrived in Purple Strong and Flexible.

The model is basically the central slice of 9 concentric spheres.
    IMG_3624.JPG
    The model arrive in one solid block, and I have to use a lot of efforts (plus water and soap) to separate the layers: the clearance is only 0.5mm for layers of 1mm.
    But once the layers are separated, the result is quite good!
    A side effect is that only the external surface was dyed, but this gives a very nice effect.
    IMG_3626.JPG

It does not turn as well as the Ring'n'Roll, probably because the clearance is so small and also because the layer are flexible and can be deformed. But still a lot of fun playing with it.

Also check the video.

The model is for sale for a limited amount of time because of the issue of the layers being stuck, so buy it at your own risks!
    I will try to redsign it with less layers, probably thicker, and more clearance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Been waiting for it after your initial idea post!
    And wow, that works so well! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you increase clearance to 0.7mm (perhaps slightly more, the contacting surface area is quite big) I do not think you would notice much difference in behavior.

Perhaps work with production/CS to find the sweet spot for production/cleaning/movability and snugness/fun?

Kudos!

Ps. Awesome limited edition with the dye this way ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Absolutely brilliant!

The dyed effect is really cool too!

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    @Virtox: yes I remember our conversation on this topic. Strangely enough, at that time I was concerned by the two layers being stuck and I printed them turned at 90°. I coud have done the same here (but it would have ruined the wonderful color effect :)).
    The next version will probably have layers of 1.5mm and clearance of 0.75mm and much less layers (perhaps 5 instead of 9).

@Stop4stuff: thank you very much. I love when a non planned artifact makes the result even better (like sometimes the printing layers in organic sculptures).

By the way the 4 outer layers can be easily removed and the 5th can be removed too but with a little more brute force...