Newcomer Greeting

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by naruteoh123, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

1. naruteoh123
    naruteoh123 New Member
    Hi, I am an user that have experience in 3D modelling. I was stumbled in this website by the coincidence and hopefully here will be a good platform to hone my designing and 3D modelling skills. For now I need to ask some questions:

1) How do I upload the items with 2 or more parts that need to be assembly?
    2) I have certain oil & gas structure such as oil rig jacket, FPSO modules and Subsea Manifold model that I have modelled myself from the my previous job. If I want to sell this model in miniature form, will there be any legal issues from this?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    1) Shapeways will not do any assembly work for you or your customers. If the parts require different materials you need to upload them as separate files, if they are the same material you can usually just put all parts in one file. (For some materials, multiple parts per file is not allowed, you will find this mentioned on the respective pages under the Materials heading. If parts are very small, consider joining them by a sprue to make handling easier)
    2) Depends on the terms of your previous contract, but usually I would expect that work to have become the intellectual property of your (then) employer. (Consider also that even a small model may unintentionally reveal some trade secret in its overall design, so even if they would not categorically refuse permission they may want to vet each individual model that is based on the work you did for them)

3. naruteoh123
    naruteoh123 New Member
    Thanks for your reply.
    1) So, will it better for me to include assembly instruction when uploading this type of model?

2) If that's the case, how about I delete some details in the models such as equipments and only shows the main structures?

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    1)Yes, unless it is obvious what needs to be done. The "Tips and Howtos" forum is the usual place to put instructions, sticker templates and the like for models, but you can also embed a youtube video on the model page.
    2)Hard to tell, I guess if the resulting model is sufficiently generic it would work. (Though maybe it would be safer to just redo it from scratch without the access to company specifications that you once had)