Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by erckgillis, Oct 18, 2011.

1. erckgillis
    erckgillis New Member
    Long time IT geek but no 3D experience. I've been designing and making metal jewelry as a hobby and chainmaile jewelry as a business.

I'd like to know what are the best tools to be able to create small simple shapes and link them like I use in maille and jewelery chains? the scale here is often less than 10mm per segment.

It seems many basic shapes like a torus with specific dimensions require a great amount of hand drawing?

I'd love to be able to make my own 3D designs but is this realistic given the complexity of even some of the most basic weave patterns? I'm not even sure many of the designs will meet the printing and materials restrictions for gaps and dimensions.

Ed

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    If your just looking to do torus you should be fine with sketchup or 123D. I'm not to familar with them so don't know about making them more chain looking shapes. But when you make one, you just copy and paste

3. erckgillis
    erckgillis New Member
    Thanks,

Yes I installed the shapes tools to Sketchup and the torus tool was available. I now have 3 in 1 and 4 in 1 rings "linked" together.

I will have to read the design rules for gaps and tolerances between components.

Then decide if I want them to be closed loops or create toggles & clasps etc.

Well back to design! UGH! perhaps I'll post some results?

Ed
    Dallas TX USA

Go Rangers!

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Can't wait to see them in the "it arrived" section