New to 3d design

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by InstantKarma, Jul 25, 2008.

1. InstantKarma
    InstantKarma New Member
    Just wondering if there were any recommendations for a newbie friendly open source( read FREE) 3d modeling software?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO & Co-Founder

why don't you have a look at TopMod3D ?
    It produces surprising results and is not so difficult to master.
    We have some examples on the gallery.

3. InstantKarma
    InstantKarma New Member
    I will give it a try this weekend.

4. HD render man
    HD render man New Member
    you could try wings 3d

or blender

although both very capable apps you will probly be able to get to gips with them with in 2 weeks or so
  5. Wildsketch
    Wildsketch New Member
    I can also recommend Wings 3D. I haven't tried Blender, it has a good reputation, but when you want to focus on modeling Wings 3D has almost everything the pro packages have, and it is very intuitive.
  6. zapwow
    zapwow New Member
    I love using blender, but it is definitely not newbie-friendly. Years in, I'm still not sure how to use most of the interface.
  7. HD render man
    HD render man New Member
    i'd agree that blender takes quite a long time to master however that should not put a begginer off, as getting use to its modeling system alone could be done in 1-2 weeks.
  8. drago3711
    drago3711 New Member
    yeah, I recommend Blender 3d with all of my heart. has links to all the support and info that you need to learn blender in a hurry.

A lot of people complain about blenders interface, but that is normally because it is a great deal different than other 3d programs and its difficult to switch. Since this is your first look into the area you wont have any bad habits and it shouldn't be a problem :D
  9. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar New Member
    Well there is a mess of programs that you can use to model, some of those include the following:
    Maya(pain in the but for newbies)

Whiles i have not use all of these i have tried Maya, Gmax, Blender, Wings3d, and Milkshape. But i would reccomend Blender or Gmax, both are versatile, Blender has a sharper learning curve than Gmax but has more features(or did, havent used Gmax in a while). Gmax has a easy to understand and use interface providing most of the tools a ammature modeler will use.
  10. InstantKarma
    InstantKarma New Member
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I think I am going to start out on Blender and go from there.

I think the key will be finding some good tutorials....but I figure google knows where those are!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
  11. Start with the official ones :

I find the video tutorials as sometimes too slow, but very effective to see and learn how to really work with Blender.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  12. sakeynes
    sakeynes New Member
    Hi All,
    I've got a similar problem to the original question here, in that I don't have a 3D CAD program.
    However, I am quite familiar with Solidworks (and also solidedge), but I have no hope of getting that on my home PC due to costs.
    Which of the options listed above would be closest to that style of 3D solid modelling?
    Tried google sketchup but I am very frustrated with it - very different philospohy compared to a true 3D solid modeller.
    Help would be greatly appreciated. I've got so many things to build!
    Thanks in advance