New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by joe1029, May 14, 2013.

1. joe1029
    joe1029 New Member
    So my new IPhone case just arrived. I's supposed to be a facehugger from Aliens on the back of the phone. I'm seriously considering staining it with black tea. I've already tried this one some other models I'm not crazy about in the same material, and the look after staining for a few hours was great, pretty damn close to the tanish-brown color from the facehugger aliens in the movies. My concern it that the stained models seemed weaker then before I stained them. I'd love to know if this does in fact weaken the plastic and if so by how much. There are some thin parts on this case. It's strong as it is, but I don't want to weaken it to where it could easily break.

Does anyone have any experience in this or know a way to get a similar color stain w/o using tea? (I'm guessing it's the acidity in the black tea that weakens the plastic)

376.JPG

Thanks for any help or input!

2. joe1029
    joe1029 New Member
    Shoot, sorry about the triple post. My internet crashed or lost connection to Shapeways while I was uploading it and I didn't think it went through, so I refreshed the page and hit post again... twice. Not sure how to delete a post either, sorry!

3. bartv
    bartv New Member
    No worries, I've removed the other posts.

Bart

4. wedge
    wedge New Member
    nice.
    Now I have an image in mind where a chestbuster breaks out of the Phone ...

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Check out the post production section for different ways to dye your model.

6. phr0stbyte
    phr0stbyte New Member
    NICE case, man - I love it!

7. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    The instant I saw it I just burst out in laughter. I really like it.

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    RIT Fabric Dyes work well. Check the post-production forum, as suggested, because some plastics dye better than others, as I recall.